StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that anyone would care.....but bought my 12 V Strom in early 2012 cause my DRZ400S killed me on the long pavement rides, although I loved it offroad. I then later sold the V Strom and changed to a new DR650se instead. Guess I thought I still wanted to do more dirt riding. After the DR, jumped down to a WR250X next but have decided traveling long distance on a 25hp motorcycle is not as much fun as I thought. So now I am back with a new 14 V Strom 650 that I picked up last Saturday. I looked really close and hard at the Versys and the Tiger 800 but even with the dealer taking 2K off the price of a 13 Tiger 800 (roadie) I still chose the V Strom. I plan on still doing some mild offroad and look forward to setting up the Strom with a skid plate and maybe some engine guards. I ride with a guy that took his Strom everywhere I took my WR and he did great. Of course he is either a really really good offroad rider on a 500lb beast or I am really a lightweight when it comes to offroad. I'll let you pick.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Welcome back :yesnod:

Good to see you back on the Strom, helping to reinforce that it really is one of the best all rounders on the market today :thumbup:

Congrats on the new 2014

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Welcome back, its good to read these types of stories :thumbup:
From time to time I lust for a new bike (I bought my wee new in 07), or my work mates hassle me to buy a newbie, but when I look hard at want I want to do with riding, the wee wins every time. So after 115K klms I'm still happy and pleased with what I have :hurray:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You both nailed it on your comments with the Strom. How do you really find the best all around bike? You have to try them and I have tried to do just that. Came back to the V Strom!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Welcome back. I am curious - do you think Strom +DR650 would be a good combo? I have an XT225, but riding any distance to get to the off road really beats us both up (me and the XT). I've been considering a DR - same air cooled, carbed simplicity, but a little longer legs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Welcome back. I am curious - do you think Strom +DR650 would be a good combo? I have an XT225, but riding any distance to get to the off road really beats us both up (me and the XT). I've been considering a DR - same air cooled, carbed simplicity, but a little longer legs.
Hello SFTrailer,

I think either the DR650 or the DRZ400S would be good pics. The DR650 is better on the pavement then the 400 but carries an extra 50+ lbs or so. The suspension is way better on the DRZ for offroad then the DR. I think if I owned a V Strom and wanted a 2nd bike for off road duty, I would go with the DRZ400S. If you had to do a lot of pavement (like over 75 miles) to get to the off road then I would go with the DR650. Riding the DRZ in the dirt made me feel like I was riding a dirt bike. Riding the DR650 was fine for trails but seemed to feel more like an older suspended bike that I shouldn't push to hard offroad. The last bike I had was the WR250X which was setup with 19/17 wheels and dual sport tires. Probably similar to your XT on the pavement. I think my DR650 weighed 366 and the DRZ was 310. The DRZ was taller in the saddle if that is something that makes a difference. The DR650 is easy to lower using the stock rear shock and links. I could run the DR650 up on the freeway at 75 and it was fine. Anything above 60 on the DRZ was not fun. It just felt very buzzy at anything 60 and above.
Sorry just re-read your post...Yes the DR650 would be simple compared to the DRZ with its air cooled engine and simple design.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking forward to some rides and camping someday soon. Has you wife been doing some riding with you to?

Let me know what you have done to your V Strom as far as off-road goodies? I am debating now on the side engine guards. I know some have said it definitely adds some vibration while others say it is very minor. What are your thoughts?

Thank you,
Jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts