StromTrooper banner

I'm back in the saddle again! Modesto CA

1269 17
Hello all, after 25 years I decided to start riding again and I can't believe I waited this long. I picked up a 2007 DL1000 and I love it. The sound it makes from 4500 to 6500rpm is just glorious! It has 55000 miles on it and I paid $1800 so as expected I've got some repairs to do. The Stromtooper forums have helped troubleshoot my problems, what a great resource.
Please let me know if I'm on the right track. I've identified some problems to repair and want to do some general maintenance. I plan to change the clutch basket, replace fork seals, install rear hub spacer mod and new rubber bits. Flush brake, clutch and radiator. Any thing else I should address while I'm at it.
Anyone near Modesto that would like to ride and meet up for coffee and V-Strom talk let me know.
David

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sharp looking ride, David!

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to riding - I too took about a 25 year break before jumping back on a bike just over 2 years ago - seems to be fairly common as guys focus on career and raising a family when they sell their bike, and before you know it decades have passed....

Looking at google maps it appears you have some really great day rides in your area - highway 130 to San Jose jumped out at me as looking like a fun ride!

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,839 Posts
Font Smile Sharing Screenshot Automotive exterior

There is one issue with V1's that seems to repeat. See if yours has been fixed.

There are other issues that owners have attended to. Go through the sticky threads here:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome!
You sure got a GREAT price!! I just got my '08 in July of this year. I had to do the stator and clutch basket, replace rear tire, and will likely have to do the chain/sprockets as the chain was way too tight with unknown miles ridden...and I paid a lot more.

Do the stator and clutch basket at the same time since both tasks requires being down for a while. Order Suzuki case gaskets, not the junk ones on ebay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sharp looking ride, David!

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to riding - I too took about a 25 year break before jumping back on a bike just over 2 years ago - seems to be fairly common as guys focus on career and raising a family when they sell their bike, and before you know it decades have passed....

Looking at google maps it appears you have some really great day rides in your area - highway 130 to San Jose jumped out at me as looking like a fun ride!
That's a fun ride if you like low speed cornering, very tight turns. That ride turned my wife off to riding. We rode up to Mount Hamilton Observatory in the winter and rode up into a fog bank, she was very cold. That might be a good ride for black Friday.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome!
You sure got a GREAT price!! I just got my '08 in July of this year. I had to do the stator and clutch basket, replace rear tire, and will likely have to do the chain/sprockets as the chain was way too tight with unknown miles ridden...and I paid a lot more.

Do the stator and clutch basket at the same time since both tasks requires being down for a while. Order Suzuki case gaskets, not the junk ones on ebay.
Thanks,
I think the seller was very motivated. My bike came with new tires and a new chain and sprockets. I wanted something I could resell when I'm ready to upgrade but I must say I love the bike and don't think I'll be selling it anytime soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They are great bikes. I had a K2, a pair of K5's, and a K7 like yours. They all ran 40k-50k miles before I shifted to a different sequence of bikes. From my extensive personal experience, during which I performed all the maintenance myself, I would say this: don't bother with the clutch basket. Clutch springs? yes. They are only a few bucks each, and they get tired. New clutch springs make your clutch feel young again. You will need side case gasket and water pump seal. And when you dismantle the clutch slave cylinder, you can clean out the grease and dirt, and check the slave for leaks. Slave cylinders have been known to go bad, typically at about 40K on my bikes.

I found the single best mod was a new rear shock and progressive springs with new fork oil in front. YMMV

enjoy, Cap

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's a fun ride if you like low speed cornering, very tight turns. That ride turned my wife off to riding. We rode up to Mount Hamilton Observatory in the winter and rode up into a fog bank, she was very cold. That might be a good ride for black Friday.
Actually LOVE those types of roads - don't have anything like that within 3 hours of Vegas, the fun roads with an an hour or two are all pretty much high speed sweepers - I find the low speed very tight turns to be a lot more fun and a lot more forgiving, as you aren't "committed" because you are going 70-80 mph on the high speed sweeper type curves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are great bikes. I had a K2, a pair of K5's, and a K7 like yours. They all ran 40k-50k miles before I shifted to a different sequence of bikes. From my extensive personal experience, during which I performed all the maintenance myself, I would say this: don't bother with the clutch basket. Clutch springs? yes. They are only a few bucks each, and they get tired. New clutch springs make your clutch feel young again. You will need side case gasket and water pump seal. And when you dismantle the clutch slave cylinder, you can clean out the grease and dirt, and check the slave for leaks. Slave cylinders have been known to go bad, typically at about 40K on my bikes.

I found the single best mod was a new rear shock and progressive springs with new fork oil in front. YMMV

enjoy, Cap
Thanks for the tip. My clutch is grabs abruptly and jerks quite a bit. From what I read in the forms it seems the clutch basket is to blame but if it's just the springs that would be much cheaper.
David

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome from the Ozarks , the land of winding roads and great views. You should be blessed with some. Nice bike.
We actually have plenty of those here in the Sierra Nevada Mountains just 30 minutes from my house. Back in the day, I used to ride Ebbetts Pass, Sanora Pass and Tioga Pass over to 395 and up to Topaz Lake in Nevada. Hope to do it again this summer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My clutch is grabs abruptly and jerks quite a bit.
Those symptoms don’t sound like chudder to me. Check out Terry’s site here: https://werksparts.com/clutch-chudder-symptoms

The clutch operates in an oil bath, and the properties of the oil will affect the performance of the clutch. One cheap and easy step in clutch diagnosis is to change the oil. Use something that is JASO MA2 compliant. I found that my DL1000’s worked better with non-synthetic oil. If you notice a change in clutch feel after swapping oil, then you solved the problem. If not, then you can investigate further.

Cap

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those symptoms don’t sound like chudder to me. Check out Terry’s site here: https://werksparts.com/clutch-chudder-symptoms

The clutch operates in an oil bath, and the properties of the oil will affect the performance of the clutch. One cheap and easy step in clutch diagnosis is to change the oil. Use something that is JASO MA2 compliant. I found that my DL1000’s worked better with non-synthetic oil. If you notice a change in clutch feel after swapping oil, then you solved the problem. If not, then you can investigate further.

Cap
It has T5 in it now, I'll try the T4 and let you know.
David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts