StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was impressed as a Suzuki salesman when we got our 1st dl1000 with full luggage. Very different bike back in 02-03. It was back soon on trade-in, don't recall why, wasnt my customer. But, it was THEN that I got my 1st experiences riding one. Whoa! Nail the throttle and look at the sky! With luggage! I bought the 1st red 06 to hit town and put 30k miles bone-stock (ok center-stand) with a tail-bag and regular maintenence in one year on it. Then we got a M109R on trade and I got a new best-friend! Well, 50k on that bike had me lookin at a new in the box 09 dl1000 three months ago. Made a sweet deal,(Not a salesman anymore) THIS TIME I want it to look and perform BAD-ASS-IN-BLACK!
Got the Givi-by-Suzuki full luggage, FREE. Cant beat free! So I added 2-Bros Black Series Carbon (w spark screens) K&N Air Cleaner, Power Commander V, Gel-Seat, And Sport-Touring windscreen. NOW***** Here's why I"m back, if you are still with me!!! ;-) She is wicked-fast wheelie ready! And now I'm ready to get the crash-tipover protection, risers, pegs, skid-plate, etc to be Bad-Ass Looking and functional for adventure in Texas, New-Mexico, and Colorado this season. I've already been to Mexico three times on it in three months. Only prob, stranded with a flat rear in a remote area. NOT FUN!!! DONT WANT TO EXPERIMENT! WHAT WORKS GOOD GUYS? Crash and skid in black only. Aux-lights? Becoming more self-rescuing capable is another issue as I usually ride solo. Glad to be back fellow Stromers, and welcome any input and advice. Thanks, Darkwing aka Highway Charlie

·
Registered
384 Posts
And now I'm ready to get the crash-tipover protection, risers, pegs, skid-plate, etc to be Bad-Ass Looking and functional for adventure in Texas, New-Mexico, and Colorado this season. I've already been to Mexico three times on it in three months. Only prob, stranded with a flat rear in a remote area. NOT FUN!!! DONT WANT TO EXPERIMENT! WHAT WORKS GOOD GUYS? Crash and skid in black only. Aux-lights? Becoming more self-rescuing capable is another issue as I usually ride solo. Glad to be back fellow Stromers, and welcome any input and advice. Thanks, Darkwing aka Highway Charlie
If I read this correctly I would second the cheapo tire plugs and compressor from Wally World. Wife has a slime brand and I've got a $10 chinese one with all the plastics broke off.

Crash bars were Givi for me, Fehling for hers.

We both have skid plates from Narcosis Junky, Enduro Guardian. Here ya go: Skid plates, etc

I don't usually travel on my bike after dark so I haven't looked at auxilliary lighting. Commuting from work my route is well lit. Besides, the Strom has some outstanding headlights.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
+1 to the slime compressor and plug kit.
Saved my butt more than once.

Buy the red plugs not the black ones.

And don't cut the ends off after putting them in, use your zippo and set them on fire; let them melt all the way into the tread; they'll never come out (I completely destroyed a tire by trying to pull one out once).

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Ultraseal Products
Slime compressor, stop-n-go plug kit.
I use the compressor around the garage to make sure it is in working order. Never used the plugs. Maybe the first item is working, or Anakee IIs are more puncture resistant than any other tire I've tried.

I have the Givi bars. Some vibes at 5-6k. Peak at 5.5k. Took off the amoto skid plate as it made the vibes worse. If I get bored one day with extra cash, I might give the alt rider products a try. Reported to not have a vibe problem, but I'd take the Givis off for a while to see if they really were the problem.

The first comments are general, the second might be Wee-specific. I also carry a first-aid kit. Can't recall the brand just now, but it included shears the would cut leather. And a small fire extinguisher.

PS welcome back!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've also got a 09 DL1000 in Texas I was sold on the all black when I bought it new in 09. It's my 2nd Vee the 1st being an 02. I wanted everything to be black that I put on it so I went with all Hepco Becker accessories. Crash bars, luggage, and center stand. I always carry a flat repair kit but I bought a tire and wheel warranty when I bought it new. I'm a member of the AMA with roadside assistance so as long as I have cell phone service someone's coming to get me. They also fight for our rights as motorcyclist.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep!

I carry a slime compressor $10 walmart with a plug kit
Had one on the shelf! Didn't help me on that trip, been on board every since! thnx.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going with Givi and Enduro skid. thnx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the plug trips. A samaritan gave me a car plug kit. HA! Spit 3 of em in 50mi! O, and your mechanic will hate you if you use fix-a-flat. But ilike I told him I didn't like being down at nite in nowhereville!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My little drama night was down deep south on the border, basically in no-man's-land. Hence my desire to be more self sufficient. How about the small bars you carry to break your own tires off the wheels? That alone would have saved me BIG on bike retrieval. Ahh yes, re-inflation is a bear, rite? Hmm. Practice wheel removal and remounting with tools I carry. mmmm hmmmmmm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About all-black. Yes. But, have you seen the Twisted-Throttle demo black Strom with the add-on bars and skip and luggage rack in Yellow? A bit of eye-attraction for inattentive drivers maybe? Any comments? Red? Lumi-Paint----hey! ;-)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alt. Rider? Ok, stand-by. Have heard of the vibe issues. Seems to be in mounting & torqueing etc. ditto the first-aid, ex EMT here. Anakee II's or Skorpions next. Small kitchen fire ext. Nice! Thanks Troopers! Gotta luv owner-boards!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts