StromTrooper banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
DL650 K7
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@Hans471 I appreciate your thoughts on this. It's great to have the skills and experience to fix things. I ordered the replacement already and I'm not sure I have the skills and tools to do this. I mainly do curbside maintenance.
I figured the bracket also acts as a kind of predetermined breaking point in case you fly through it in an accident? Metal might not be the best idea then.

@Brockie I will look into the filing modification to the side stand. Sounds like a good idea!

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,380 Posts
I shaved 5mm or so off the bracket where the stand sits against it. OEM the stand was barely over 90 degrees to the bike. I also now use the sole of my boot to deploy the stand and finish by pushing forward with my toe, and keeping the pivot lubed so that I can feel the spring pull it into place.

·
Premium Member
3,870 Posts
I try to drop my bikes every few years just to stay in practice. At least the Wee doesn't weigh near as much as the Connie. I dropped her in the basement putting her on the center stand. The workbench sheared off the windshield and broke the right side mirror.

View attachment 307824
A nightmare thought, right there. If (when?) I misjudge when putting the Wee on the centerstand, there ain't nothin' on either side of it except concrete. It'll be ugly.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
If (when?) I misjudge when putting the Wee on the centerstand, there ain't nothin' on either side of it except concrete. It'll be ugly.
I actually think that's best case scenario. Nothing to snag or smash mirrors, windscreens, aux lights, pegs, levers, etc. against on the way down. (Reader is likely correct in guessing why I think so.)

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
1,330 Posts
A nightmare thought, right there. If (when?) I misjudge when putting the Wee on the centerstand, there ain't nothin' on either side of it except concrete. It'll be ugly.
Don't worry, the ground will catch it.

I thought it would be great fun to have a real mad max beater and park like that every time.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Pushing my bike out of the garage, the pannier clipped the corner of my car and I dropped it right in the driveway! F me
Yeah, I've actually dropped the Connie three times, once in the basement as per the previous photos, once just outside in the carport, and once in the driveway, all within a radius of about 30 feet.

The Wee has been down twice, both times at zero speed, both times trying to avoid other moving objects.

·
Registered
2004 Kawasaki KLV1000
183 Posts
Yep! Three times for me as well...
One time on a gravel road, trying to skid turn on a uphill slope.. not enough speed, came to a halt mid turn and down I went.
The other two times when taking the bike of the (now retired) rear paddock stand.. The second time I dropped it, I broke my windscreen and RHS mirror and bracket..

Reactions: strom_r0m

·
Registered
41 Posts
I actually think that's best case scenario. Nothing to snag or smash mirrors, windscreens, aux lights, pegs, levers, etc. against on the way down. (Reader is likely correct in guessing why I think so.)
I know why I think so - did a genuine idiot thing when mounting my Wee on the Harbor Freight lift (I do like the lift) and it went over in the garage, not on the nice smooth concrete floor. Result: Need two different right cowling pieces, about $500. Have no idea what they hit, but it wasn't the smooth garage floor. :cry::cry:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts