StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
DL650 K7
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was gonna install my new tall seat that came in the post today but I dropped my bike with side stand not fully extended. I broke my windshield (Suzuki Aeroflow 27G) and damaged my neighbour's car....You can trust me when I say I'm pretty pissed off with myself and my already stretched travel budget for this fall just took another hit...

Automotive tire Hood Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive tire Automotive design

Gas Engineering Machine Personal protective equipment Electrical wiring

Wood Auto part Electric blue Bumper Automotive exterior

I assume the broken part is part of the windscreen "Suzuki Aeroflow 27G" and not part of the motorcycle and therefore the whole thing can go in the bin? Can anyone confirm?

Do I have all the parts necessary to install a new windscreen? The bike came with this screen and I'm not sure what has been modified...

Options for a windscreen are very limited here due to legal restrictions and this windshield doesn't seem to be available any more....I had a quick look around and the MRA vario screen seems to be the only legal option still available...

F*CK!!!

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
I found out the hard way that the kickstand retracts on its own if not pushed firmly forward. Its tendency is not to deploy unless pushed beyond a certain point.
I use my toe now to ensure it is fully forward before placing the bike on it. And I look down to make damn sure.
When my bike went down on the side of the road for this reason I blamed the kickstand design. Not myself.
I don't think you or the multitude of others that have experienced this are "idiots".
Don't beat yourself up!

·
Registered
DL650 K7
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, thanks for the encouragement! I already feel a bit better. I just hope the damage to the car is minor so I dont have to go through insurance.

I recently installed this thing and I suspect it had it's share in my mishap as well as the cobble stone street and a slight decline. I certainly had a few close-calls with the stock side stand before as well so I propably leave it on as the lean angle is way nicer with the boot on.

Rolling Font Composite material Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Heres an option for ya....+ you get far more adjustability than the stock plastic brkt

Yes...its from China...& if you want the real thing..look up a Madstad brkt. The original adj shield mount

·
Registered
DL650 K7
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heres an option for ya....+ you get far more adjustability than the stock plastic brkt

Yes...its from China...& if you want the real thing..look up a Madstad brkt. The original adj shield mount
Interesting, thanks. I ordered the OEM replacement bracket from my dealer now already for 70quid. I also prefer to keep it street legal.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Perhaps too late for this, but the advice I've learnt when I first started out riding wrt the kick stand:
1) ensure the ignition is switched off with the bike in 1st gear.
2) roll the bike forward against compression before opening the kick stand.
3) turn the handlebar to full lock.
4) ensure the kick stand is opened far enough before setting the bike on the stand
5) where possible don't park with the front wheel pointing down hill or place the kick stand down on soft ground.
6) a good safeguard is to tie up the front brake, if there is no other alternative, to prevent the bike from rolling forward. For soft ground a flat rock, PVC or tin, etc, to make the stand footprint bigger.

Have a look at threads like 1st ride, parked and fell over and Sidestand

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
1,330 Posts
If you're an idiot, then we're all idiots so you're in good company.

I also found the lean angle too steep with the stock kickstand, and the foot too small. If the ground was a bit soft, it dug a hole in the ground and fell over on more than one occasion. The second time it happened I went out to the shop the next day and cut a piece of steel out that's an inch bigger in both dimensions and tacked it on. No trouble since then.

I have also experienced the "Pilot error, failure to fully deploy landing gear" so now I physically look every time to make sure it's all the way out.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
It sounds like you already ordered the part.Did you try piecing it together?If you got lucky and it was a clean break the piece may have fit back together so you could have epoxied it.I had good luck with a faring many years ago.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I spent the last fifty years fixing thing or teaching others how to fix things. I bet $50 I could fix this part. If you look at the break it snapped at a weak point (as things always do). I would use a piece of flat stock aluminum (Hardware store item...less than $10). I would cut it and then bend it to go in behind the two broken parts, drilling holes so that the original bolt holes would still work. This will all be hidden when its all back together. I would then epoxy the metal braces (good JB Weld...not the cheap stuff) to the broken plastic parts. Let it sit over night. Pick up the metric screws that are long enough to make up for the difference and thickness and put it all back together. The repair parts will be out of sight, especially if you touch it up with a little black paint. If done correctly the repaired part will likely be stronger than the factory original.

Or, go spend the money and buy a new part...either way..... I am just old fashion and fix stuff....that way I feel less guilt for my own screw ups!~

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,380 Posts
My very first mod was to file away where the side stand fits against its bracket. It just did not seem to go far enough forward for the spring to hold it securely, or for the stand to hold on even a slightly downward slope.
I also occasionally put a few drops of oil on the bracket to ensure that the spring pulls the stand fully into place.
And yes, guess why I decided that I needed to do this?

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
It sounds like you already ordered the part.Did you try piecing it together?If you got lucky and it was a clean break the piece may have fit back together so you could have epoxied it.I had good luck with a faring many years ago.
I'm not sure that's a good idea for a windshield bracket. If the joint fails, you have a large hunk of plastic rocketing into your face at speed, accelerated by wind pressure. :(

@strom_r0m - definitely sympathize. I know the feeling.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
My very first mod was to file away where the side stand fits against its bracket. It just did not seem to go far enough forward for the spring to hold it securely, or for the stand to hold on even a slightly downward slope.
I also occasionally put a few drops of oil on the bracket to ensure that the spring pulls the stand fully into place.
And yes, guess why I decided that I needed to do this?
yes, that was my first mod as well, Suzuki didn't leave enough of an angle, it was almost 90deg to the bike, a puff of wind and it would go down. Ever since my mod, much, much safer kickstand deployment on my 650xa:

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
I try to drop my bikes every few years just to stay in practice. At least the Wee doesn't weigh near as much as the Connie. I dropped her in the basement putting her on the center stand. The workbench sheared off the windshield and broke the right side mirror.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 31 Posts