StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about getting a 04-2011 V-strom 650. I'll tell you a bit about myself
  • I'm 18
  • I'm 150 LBS
  • I live in NS Canada
  • I'm a very experienced dirt rider, I race in hair scrambles
  • I'm looking for a adventure touring bike
  • I'd ride mostly smooth trails but highway a lot aswell
  • I'd camp off the bike
  • I usually do all the maintenance to my bikes
  • My previous/current bikes are CRF150F, Beta 250rr, DRZ400E,XR650L, Beta 300rr(Current), Husqvarna te511(for sale)
  • I have a budget of 5500$
Is the Wee the bike for me?

·
Administrator
16,598 Posts
You sound like a good candidate to me, and sounds like a Strom would be a bike you would enjoy. What "street" riding experience do you have?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Welcome!
I can tell you that after having an XR650L for many years, the Wee has been great. I certainly wouldn't do some of the single track on the Wee that i attempted on the L, but i would do most everything else as far as jeep trails, gravel/dirt roads, etc.
The main thing is where the L, being a big thumper had me worn out after a 250 mile day, the Wee is comfortable after 500 miles or more. So it extended the range of camping, dirt road exploring i can do by allot.
I think you should be able to find a nice used low mileage bike for $5500.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Where is NS (NorthSouth) Canada, anyway?
Only kidding.
Actually, I was reading about Nova Scotia on Wiki just last night.
Sounds nice, but I read the population density is the greatest in Canada. Does it seem that way?
And yes, the Wee sounds perfect for you. And I really like your subject line. Welcome aboard, should you so choose.

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
I think the 650 will be a great bike for you..There's lots of logging roads in Queens County, for example that you can explore..

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
it's still not very populated...it might be dense for province but it ain't a crowded monster like Toronto GTA. ( second only to New York and LA )
He's got a love mix of places to ride including Cape Breton.

OP - since you ride dirt bikes you should be okay with tall seats... the somewhat top heavy Wee might be a chore .... but what is your inseam?

Everything else it seems a very good fit for you.

Welcome....

·
Registered
453 Posts
if he rides / rode an XR650L, his inseam on the Wee should not be a problem. The Wee seat is at least 4 inches lower (realistically probably 5").

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome!
I can tell you that after having an XR650L for many years, the Wee has been great. I certainly wouldn't do some of the single track on the Wee that i attempted on the L, but i would do most everything else as far as jeep trails, gravel/dirt roads, etc.
The main thing is where the L, being a big thumper had me worn out after a 250 mile day, the Wee is comfortable after 500 miles or more. So it extended the range of camping, dirt road exploring i can do by allot.
I think you should be able to find a nice used low mileage bike for $5500.
Good Luck!
Thank you, how strong are the stock rims?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's still not very populated...it might be dense for province but it ain't a crowded monster like Toronto GTA. ( second only to New York and LA )
He's got a love mix of places to ride including Cape Breton.

OP - since you ride dirt bikes you should be okay with tall seats... the somewhat top heavy Wee might be a chore .... but what is your inseam?

Everything else it seems a very good fit for you.

Welcome....
My inseam in 30, I've sat on a wee before, road it actually, I've been interested for a while

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have about 6K miles on the Strom currently including some gravel and dirt roads with no issues with the rims. But i had 12K miles on my XR and never bent a rim either - and that was popping 2nd gear wheelies off every big rock that presented itself in my path.

You've probably seen the new XT model of the Strom has spoked wheels - but that is probably out of your stated budget.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have about 6K miles on the Strom currently including some gravel and dirt roads with no issues with the rims. But i had 12K miles on my XR and never bent a rim either - and that was popping 2nd gear wheelies off every big rock that presented itself in my path.

You've probably seen the new XT model of the Strom has spoked wheels - but that is probably out of your stated budget.
Alright, I tend to have bad luck with rims and bending

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I suppose I owe you gents an update. I got a 2015 VStrom 650, named Kitty by my mother. I got her for graduation from my parents under the condition that I would go to collage (Still working on that) She now has 6600KMs and one week long trip under both of our belts. For the people who say that you can't off road a strom; I'd just like to quote Jimmy McGrath Jr "Ya ani't ridin it right, Get on dere, dats what da clutch is fo"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like the Wee fits the bill! I'm typically a sport-tourer, highway, twisty paved roads rider. Thinking about a Wee for a Baja California adventure with some dirt road exploring, and maybe exploring the San Bernardino National Forest with it.

Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts