StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the July 4th weekend in Emporium, PA. Rode there on Friday from Southern MD. Had a blast.

Hit a huge slowdown on I-70 W toward Breezewood. Punched "Detour" on the Zumo and off I went into the hinterland. Saw some great country that I'd never seen before, and bypassed the mess headed for Breezewood.

Headed home on Sunday by just punching "Where to?>Home>Go!" Simple. Man, I'm a big fan of simple. Off I went again, without a hitch or hiccup.

If you're on the fence about buying a GPS, I'd say "Do it." I'm no duty expert, but they sure are convenient, and handy, and everything else a map isn't.

The various Zumo features are way cool, too. I'm still a novice, but my recent trip taught me a lot, and there's more to learn. I'm extremely impressed, and very satisfied with my 550.

So, if you're leaning toward a GPS of any flavor, stop leaning and just "JUMP." I think you'll like'em, too. ;)

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I could never do the riding that I do and cover the ground that I cover, in the places that I go, without a GPS, (My flavor is a Mio C-520 mounted up on the dashboard). I do carry paper maps as back up.

From navigating the willy-wags, to finding campgrounds, motels and gas stations, to navigating cities, there is no, more efficient method of "getting there" then with a GPS. I have also helped other motorists and fellow bikers find their way with my GPS.

I don't leave home without it

·
Registered
105 Posts
Other fun use for GPS

I love being in some "place" and then having my GPS find me the 'shortest route' to some other distant 'place'. This spontaneous routing has put me on more out of the way back road/path/goat tracks than I would ever find on my own. Even roads with 'No Exit' signs at the entrance have turned out to have an exit .. mind you a car could never get through but the Vee always has.

pilgrim

·
Registered
244 Posts
Spent the July 4th weekend in Emporium, PA. Rode there on Friday from Southern MD. Had a blast.

Hit a huge slowdown on I-70 W toward Breezewood. Punched "Detour" on the Zumo and off I went into the hinterland. Saw some great country that I'd never seen before, and bypassed the mess headed for Breezewood.

Headed home on Sunday by just punching "Where to?>Home>Go!" Simple. Man, I'm a big fan of simple. Off I went again, without a hitch or hiccup.

If you're on the fence about buying a GPS, I'd say "Do it." I'm no duty expert, but they sure are convenient, and handy, and everything else a map isn't.

The various Zumo features are way cool, too. I'm still a novice, but my recent trip taught me a lot, and there's more to learn. I'm extremely impressed, and very satisfied with my 550.

So, if you're leaning toward a GPS of any flavor, stop leaning and just "JUMP." I think you'll like'em, too. ;)
Listening to directions or just looking at the display?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Listening to directions or just looking at the display?
No audio, just visual. It's mounted on the left handlebar next to the grip. Easy to see and toggle between screens. I like it immensely. :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
I always use the audio. I listen to mp3's while riding and like to have spoken directions when on routes. I also have a custom mount so the Zumo is dead center and above the tach and speedo, makes it real easy for visual reference. Now that I have a Zumo on the bike I will always have one. Sure beats the hell out of paper maps in the tank bag. Sorry for the bad photo, all I got as I am at work ;)

TM

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
+1 on the Zumo. Got my July of last year and it has been awesome. I've used GPS systems in the car for years, this is the first bike-centric one I've had.

·
Registered
797 Posts
It really is a wonderful device. Riding used to be a constant worry about getting lost. My built-in compass is broken, so I often discover new roads when I think I'm actually heading home. With my Zumo, I can at least say "Go Home" and get myself back to the house in time for dinner :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
NEVER buy a Nextar GPS no matter how low the price. I have one and it is CRAP. The tech support is painfull.
You get what you pay for!
I am going to replace it wih one of the units mentioned here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts