StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks:

Your resident Stromtrooper noob here asking lots of questions for my upcoming trip to S. America next month!

I have been riding around Seattle and realized that I'm about to do be doing *a lot* of riding; and so I'd like to reduce the wind buffeting I get smacked with especially if I ride with good posture (no slumped over shoulders).

I have the Givi windscreen TwistedThrottle.com : Givi Windscreen (Suzuki DL1000 & DL650 V-Strom, '04-) - Givi D260ST which is 22.4" tall. When riding the windscreen is a maybe an inch lower than the bottom of my helmet when I'm looking straight ahead.

1) Would it be better to buy the 'Madstad' bracket then buying a new screen?
2) Is there a way to raise up the Givi windscreen without buying a bracket?
3) If I did get the Madstad; is it still compatible with Richland Rick's GPS mount?
2) There are various other windscreens for purchase such as Cee Baileys | Suzuki DL 1000 "The Perfect Strom" Windshield but have no idea which size might be right... is there a 'fitting' rule for windscreens where they should come up to a certain height on you?

·
Registered
297 Posts
The madstad bracket is a must. I am 6'5" and I got the bracket and windshield at the same time. I am still playing with the best setup but at any speed I can control the air to stay off me and the helmet or adjust things to have smoother air hit me. Either way riding is much more enjoyable.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
6'4" and the Madstad made even the stock windshield tolerable. Even better with the Givi.

Running up the length of my Elka shock seems to have returned some high-speed buffeting. I might look into a laminar lip add-on at some point to quiet it even more, but still must be able to look over the screen.

Give the Madstad a try.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
The madstad bracket is a must. I am 6'5" and I got the bracket and windshield at the same time. I am still playing with the best setup but at any speed I can control the air to stay off me and the helmet or adjust things to have smoother air hit me. Either way riding is much more enjoyable.
+1 same height, same comment.

EDIT:

3) If I did get the Madstad; is it still compatible with Richland Rick's GPS mount?
Not sure it will work, I use the strombone (PWD now sell it, I got it from the original creator) and it works like a charm with Madstad.

Wow, it seems that a lot stromtroopers are pretty big people.. nice :thumbup:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Seems V-Strom Buffeting discusses adding a spacer which seems to help people too.

"I am 6' tall and have a 34" inseam. The stock windshield was not terrible but I wanted a little better. I added 1" spacers and longer bolts between the windshield mounting bracket and the fairing. This moves the shield out farther and lets more air in between the shield and fairing. The result is 80% better for a cost of under $6. IMHO, it looks better then the Madstad bracket and is much cheaper. Of course there is no adjusability. But it is a large improvement over the stock mount!!"

I heard a similar idea from Richland Rick; and I think I will try it before dropping $100 on the Madstad (plus I'd have to drill a couple of holes in it to support richland rick's gps mount.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Heh, 6'6" here. Tall touring seat, peg and control loweres, 2" bar risers, mad stad bracket with stock shield. Very comfy wee now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
6'5" - buy the bracket. The first time out with it I heard the engine for the first time. Before that it was all wind and my head banging around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
6'6" here. Just got the madstad installed last week and just got back from first highway ride of about 300 miles. The madstad ROCKS. It is no joke that slight adjustments reduce or eliminate the buffeting. I tried it with the bracket all the way up with the shield pointing as upright as possible....got buffeting. So i tried angling the shield more toward my helmet and down slightly....buffeting nearly gone.

I plan on getting a better shield one of these days and am convinced but with the madstad I can ride comfortably with the stock shield.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks folks. Based on the feedback of the very tall riders in this thread; I'll buy the bracket.

Man this is is why I love websites like Stromtrooper; where else could I get the feedback from so many other riders of similar height?

Best,
David

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm only 6'1" but the MadStad was like buying a whole different motorcycle. Changed the whole experience! You'll be happy.

·
Registered
900 Posts
While I was intending to upgrade from the stock windscreen, I just wasn't sure which way to go. Then, while visiting Twisted Throttle in RI, I popped for the Madstad bracket. It certainly made a huge improvement to the stock screen in my case but I still felt annoying buffeting at 70ish mph. My partner gifted me with an Arai Profile full-face helmet for my birthday and, lo and behold, that turbulence is no longer an issue. I've yet to experience riding in a downpour with the bracket and helmet and won't be surprised if the stock shield comes up short in that sort of situation.

FWIW: 6'3", 32" inseam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts