StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't find much about any farkle that can advance timing. I presume, given the tame powerband and octane requirement, coupled to the usual emissions restrictions, that Vee and Wee timing are quite conservative. Would have thought the power junkies would have messed with this by now. What have I missed?

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Jim,
I belive Power Commander makes a ignition control box that works with the PCIII which would let one adjust the timing curve.

Rich

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Yeah but I've never heard of anybody using higher octane fuel and advancing the timing to get more power. Power really comes from getting more air through the system and combining it with the proper amount of fuel.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back in the day

In the early '70's, when emission controls were wreaking havoc on engine performance, manufacturers regularly ran engines severely retarded to cut down on NoX emissions (pre -cat-con). Power, torque, and driveability were all improved when the timing got put back where it belonged, although the car no longer met emission regs. Common to back off the timing on big nasty 2-strokes (like my old YZ-490) to smooth out the power a bit. Admittedly, pumping efficiency sets an upper limit on how much power you can get, but optimizing timing improves combustion pressure, which affects torque/horsepower. In a large combustion chamber (liter-class twin) detonation is going to be an issue, so more octane would allow for advancing the timing a couple of degrees more. Was more curious if anyone had checked it out to see if there was any potential there. Personally I'm happy with the stock power curve.

K

·
0 Posts
lotro gold

It is a LOTRO Gold selling site for the game, offering lord of the rings gold at our low prices with free delivery to your the LOTRO Gold account and LOTRO Gold. All of our items are collected with out money cheats or hacks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts