StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

My ignition switch has been getting very balky, as in when I insert the key, it won't turn. Usually, I jsut have to jiggle it around a bit to get it to turn. However, last night I went to move the bike to the shed for the winter, and no matter what I did, the key wouldn't turn. It will turn to the parking light position, but not the other way. Anyway, there sits my bike, in the middle of the driveway, with the bars locked full left, and snow starting tonight. Help!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you try turning the bars more to the right while turning the key? I find that it is finicky around the steering lock and it releasing the key if you right at the threshold for the bars to lock.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved

It just needed a shot of electromotive cleaner, and a shot of Tri-Flow. It seems that enough foreign matter had entered through tht keyhole to cause a problem. Believe me, I tried moving the bars, heating the key, banging on the key, I just can't believe I didn't think to clean and lube it, but I guess I thought the WD40 would have done it. Anyway, its something to look out for.

S

·
0 Posts
Dura Lube! Best thing there is for a long lasting protection...
Teflon Base

St-Germain

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have always thought it was bad to use a liquid lube in a lock, would dry graphite work in the ignition switch?

W

·
0 Posts
Trooper246 said:
I have always thought it was bad to use a liquid lube in a lock, would dry graphite work in the ignition switch?
I use Tri-Flow a couple times a year, or after it's been outside in the rain for any length of time since the solvents help remove any moisture from the internals. In the summer or in the absence of wet weather, I generally use powdered graphite if it gets finicky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts