StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m replacing my ignition switch and the wiring is not long enough on the new switch. What is the wiring set up cause I see it has a 6pin connection but has over 6 wires on the existing wire. I’m gonna cut the wires and connect/heat wrap the new wires to the existing wires. I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
First off, welcome to the Forum. What model Wee do you have?
I trust that you have compared the new ignition switch cable length against that of the old ignition switch cable? How much of a difference in the cable length are you talking about?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, welcome to the Forum. What model Wee do you have?
I trust that you have compared the new ignition switch cable length against that of the old ignition switch cable? How much of a difference in the cable length are you talking about?
I got it off ebay and it didn’t have the wire length on the post. It’s about 8 to 10 inches short

·
Registered
264 Posts
Before you start cutting wires, is there enough there that you can plug it in, put the airbox and tank back on and start the bike without attaching screwing the switch into place? I'd be pretty suspicious of a switch with that much difference in the cable, it clearly isn't intended for your bike. If you can test it before you cut into it at least you have the chance to return it if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
If the ignition passes the above test, you could have a look at the option to resolder the leads from the old ignition switch to the replacement ignition. Do one lead at a time. Remember to snap a good few pix prior to doing any work, to help if you can't remember were everything was soldered / wired to / routed / plugged / etc.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
As Frizzen said, red to red, black to black, green to green, you get the idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts