StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2014 Vstrom 650. I noticed in the past few weeks that when I turn the key it often sticks and wont turn on. Has anyone seen this problem or knows a solution to fix it?

·
Administrator
5,378 Posts
It may sound simple but are you aware that to lock or unlock the ignition you need to push the key downwards. Otherwise try a little WD 40 in the key slot and on the pin which locks the steering.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It may sound simple but are you aware that to lock or unlock the ignition you need to push the key downwards. Otherwise try a little WD 40 in the key slot and on the pin which locks the steering.
I've heard in the past you shouldn't use liquid lubricants in key/lock mechanisms, as it can accumulate and allow dirt to accumulate and jam things up. Instead, I was told dry lubricant is a better choice.

·
Administrator
5,378 Posts
I've a tube of graphite powder that I have often used on padlocks etc. which sit out in the weather but recently read here that some do not recommend it for ignition locks. The reason given was that the graphite might allow electrical tracking between terminals. I have no experience of that myself.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Graphite worked well on both my bikes. The 2010 Wee has 120k km on it and lots of key use ( previous owner was a daily commuter )
Graphite really made a difference.
Biggest annoyance is is keeping track of the damn little tube :D

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Some people swear by WD40 and some swear at it. Same deal for graphite. I've known two locksmiths from where I used to work. One was in each camp.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Just ordered a variety from Amazon - see what works since mine is getting sticky again

American grease stick graphite lubricant 1.13 oz/32g
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$6.02
Condition: New

2 of Panef Corp. L-300 Powdered Graphite Lubricant - Net Wt .21 oz
Sold by: Great Household
$4.69
Condition: New

B'laster 8-GS Industrial Graphite Dry Lubricant - 5.5-Ounces
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$7.13

·
Registered
501 Posts
Depending on the lock design and the electrical contacts, graphite could conduct electricity and create problems. A motorcycle ignition is a bit simpler than a car and the electric side is probably sealed from the elements better than a car. Just saying that it is something to consider with graphite.

·
Administrator
5,378 Posts
Which ever you choose I'd tend to apply it modestly. My bikes are always garaged and I've never had this issue but if a problem exists I'd guess it is more likely related to the steering lock pin.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I've a tube of graphite powder that I have often used on padlocks etc. which sit out in the weather but recently read here that some do not recommend it for ignition locks. The reason given was that the graphite might allow electrical tracking between terminals. I have no experience of that myself.
I'm pretty sure that there is no direct path between the tumbler barrel and any electricity. If you purposely tried to bridge (turn on) the circuit with liquid solder or whatever could you?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Temporary fix: slightly rock the key when turning.

Permanent fix: Remove the lock and grind the key pins inside ( easier than said, there are instructions on this forum.)

·
Administrator
5,378 Posts
Here's the disassembled ignition from a BMW motorcycle.
The left part is in two pieces with the top moving with the tumbler and the bottom with the wires remaining fixed, allowing various terminals inside to open and close as it turns. The Strom is undoubtedly similar in principle. All ignition switches have the wires coming from the lowest part of the switch and all must surely have a hole somewhere to allow the water from rain or washing to drain out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts