StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ignition key slot is getting sticky, for lack of a better term. The key doesn't slide in as easy as it once did. Any suggestions on what will fix it without gumming the works up?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine is more an issue in getting the key oriented straight up and down, etc. Works fine otherwise...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Powdered graphite

Powdered graphite always works for me. Available at any hardware store. I prefer the pure graphite to the stuff that's mixed with oil, but they both work.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
+1 I've been told it's graphite powder for locks.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I've been squirting WD-40 in mine for almost 100 000 kms. No problems with using it so far.

Maybe twice a year keeps it good. I wouldn't worry about using it.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update and another keyhole question.

I tried the graphite and it didn't help. I used some electric contact cleaner to clean out the graphite and whatever else was in the keyhole. After the cleaner had a chance to dry, I sprayed in some silicone (not WD40) and that seems to have solved the problem. Now another question. I notice that there is nothing to keep water from entering the keyhole on my bike. Shouldn't there be a little piece that slides across when the key is removed that closes the hole?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I tried the graphite and it didn't help. I used some electric contact cleaner to clean out the graphite and whatever else was in the keyhole. After the cleaner had a chance to dry, I sprayed in some silicone (not WD40) and that seems to have solved the problem. Now another question. I notice that there is nothing to keep water from entering the keyhole on my bike. Shouldn't there be a little piece that slides across when the key is removed that closes the hole?
Actually I just checked the owners manual for my 2011 and on page 3-6:
"The key hole can be covered by turning the lid". I just tried it....not a conventional cover but it does work. Now one more thing to make getting my key in more difficult.

Rick

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What a great forum

Rick505 you are absolutely correct. What a great forum this us for those of us who should have spent a little more time reading the manual. Thanks.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I don't understand this. My keyhole doesn't have a "lid". Can someone please elaborate, or provide a pic?
If you stick the key in the slot just a tiny bit you will find that you can rotate that thin 'tin' cover with the slot in it WITHOUT rotation of the switch mech.

Beats the heck outta me why Suzuki thought this would be a feature, but it's not an issue either so... I'm okay with it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
My ignition key slot is getting sticky, for lack of a better term. The key doesn't slide in as easy as it once did. Any suggestions on what will fix it without gumming the works up?
Teflon lubricant.

This is the stuff, best I've ever tried for locks (house locks, padlocks, car-door locks, DL ignition and seat latch lock), plus excellent on anywhere you need a fine (ultumately dry) lubricant.

WD-40 is better on fishing lures. Listen to Greg Keeler's http://mp3bear.com/greg-keeler-wd-40-polka, I believe everything he says.

Graphite works well, but can also leave black graphite over everything. Anything oily (including WD-40) gums up after a few applications.

That Dupont teflon is what I use on my drive chain as well. Also available as a liquid, which is what I keep on the bike.

Marc

Edit: Better MP3 source

·
Registered
14 Posts
I came across this old thread searching for "key lid." Holy Mother of Pearl - I was about 100 miles from home on my 2014 DL650, when I stopped for gas and couldn't get the key back in!!! Freak out level - 100. I finally figured it out and was on my way. But really? :jawdrop:

I guess that's what you get for not reading the owner's manual. :headbang:

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
ignition lid farkle

For those of us old guys who still might have an old film containers cut the bottom portion off and use it upside down as a lid. It will fit the older bikes up to 2007 ignition switches perfectly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I while back I took a key to a locksmith and he asked why it was dirty. I said graphite. He shook his head and said wd40 is fine. I was concerned about dirt and goo buildup. He said wd40 is all they use.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It seems like half the locksmiths prefer WD40 and the other half graphite and each dislikes the other.

·
Registered
325 Posts
ran mine over the wire wheel on my grinder. polished it up a little and took the really sharp edges off. works well now

1 - 20 of 24 Posts