StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...there's a discounted one over in the For Sale thanks to my dumbassedness.

You know that old comedy routine where the guy is chasing his hat and ever time he bends down to pick it up, he kicks it out of reach...again and again? That's what I felt like last week.

My charging system went out again for the 3rd time and I assumed it was the stator again. So I had my sister follow me to the shop to get it fixed. Half way there, the battery died completely. I had to pull off the road and call a tow truck, but none of them could haul a motorcycle. So, I pushed it up and over a hill to the gas station on the corner where I found a towing company that could come pick it up later that day and take it to the dealership.

I went to work and called the dealership to let them know my bike was incoming, only to discover that they don't service Suzuki. I called the towing company ASAP and was just in time to re-direct them back to my house instead. $66 in towing fees and my bike was back were it started.

Undaunted, I decided to order the parts and do the work myself. Two weeks later, with new parts in hand, I tackle the job. When I finally accessed the stator, it looked clean and new. Fuuuk me. I traced everything back to the battery and bingo! The 30a fuse on the MOSFET had blown big time. I had forgotten that it was even there.

So, if there's a lesson to learn here: Save some time and always go to Pep Boys first. AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts doesn't carry 30amp fuse blocks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
dam

Dam i hate when that happnens i did the same thing on a quad only i paid sombody to do it only to have it sit the shop for months still never finding out what it was and its still sittin 10 years later.At least ya didnt break something else during the process right good luck!!!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
yes inquiring minds want to know.
Thirded. A 30 amp fuse makes a nice big spark and a wee "bang" when it goes.

Something very untoward has occurred, and you'd best figure out what it was before you fire up the bike again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts