StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a four day trip ( ride report forthcoming ), but I wanted to highlight one experience from my trip.

A fellow Canadian Stromtrooper, 568v8, reached out to me for assistance with route selection in our area and this request turned into me spending four days with him.

I live in Acworth, Ga and our second day of riding had us traveling north from Acworth up to Tellico Plains, Tn, to the Cherohala Skyway. Any, shortly after crossing over the Tn border we made a gas stop at the Exxon 68 just before the junction with 64 near Ducktown. We pulled in and topped off our tanks. Being courteous, we pushed our bikes into a parking place to make room for other paying customers. I walked inside and asked the proprietor if I could use the restroom. The gentleman stated that the restroom was located outside the bldg on the left and handed me a key. Upon returning I waited for him to finish up with another customer, then handed the key back and said 'thank you.'

Outside, I used my cell phone to send a txt message with a location update for my wife. Suddenly, the door flung open rapidly and the proprietor said "Gentleman, get your gear back on and get your a$$ down the street. This is not a GD rest stop. Unless you're gonna buy something get the hell outta here."

I politely informed him that we had just bought gas. He apologized and stated that from where he sits he can't always see the gas pumps, but he still had a lot of attitude in his voice. I was a bit shell shocked.

Anyway, do me a favor and help spread the word for everyone to buy their gas somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
I know where that is, and have probably stopped there before.......never had a problem. I KNOW those stations get alot of Bike Traffic.......no telling what/who has been there before you and done something to upset the guy??? I'm not taking up for him.....no excuse for an atitude like that. But I wonder how many other "cagers" look down upon us (V-strommers) simply because we are riding a motorcycle......and they may have had a bad experience with a "biker" in the past????? :headbang:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sometimes there is no pleasing people no matter how polite you are. He could have been having a bad day too. It was just something little enough to make him snap...

Where abouts in Acworth do you live? Im right off of 75 and 92.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know where that is, and have probably stopped there before.......never had a problem. I KNOW those stations get alot of Bike Traffic.......no telling what/who has been there before you and done something to upset the guy??? I'm not taking up for him.....no excuse for an atitude like that. But I wonder how many other "cagers" look down upon us (V-strommers) simply because we are riding a motorcycle......and they may have had a bad experience with a "biker" in the past????? :headbang:
Yes, 568v8, followed him back into the store and got the story out of him. I accepted his apology, but his response was still very wrong....especially since I showed him respect and thanked him for allowing me to use the restroom before he lost his temper.

You know the saying 'respect is earned, not given?' Well, let me tell you that that saying a bit backwards. If you want respect you must first show that you are respect-able and you do that by being the first to show respect. That's exactly what I did. He chose to allow his anger to control him. I choose to take my business elsewhere.

I know about the incident that caused his anger and it is an unfortunate event, but that is not an excuse for him taking it out on someone else. It is a character flaw that I take point against.

I'm confident that I can find another establishment that better understanding of customer service.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
So what was the incident? I pass through that area often.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
They had bought gas and after using the bathroom and spending a few minutes getting sorted though their gear and sending some texts the owner/register guy comes out and starts yelling at them to get their "ass down the road" and that the station isn't a "goddamn reststop."

·
Registered
114 Posts
Everyone has a bad day... I don't think I would try to affect someone's livelihood by suggesting no one visit, times are tough these days.. I'd make it a point to stop there again, just to see if it's an isolated incident or not... if you care that much.

·
Registered
187 Posts
He is pretty well known within the gas hauling community as a jerk.I don't buy gas there so I have no personal experience. I am sorry you had a bad experience their though.
If some of these businesses arond ETn,ENc and NGa would think about how much money they bring in from the motorcycling community they might change their attitude.

·
Registered
114 Posts
He is pretty well known within the gas hauling community as a jerk.I don't buy gas there so I have no personal experience. I am sorry you had a bad experience their though.
If some of these businesses arond ETn,ENc and NGa would think about how much money they bring in from the motorcycling community they might change their attitude.
Thanks. LOL disregard my comments then..

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what was the incident? I pass through that area often.
Apparently, the day before a group of cruiser riders had stopped in just to take a break. He said that there were at least 10 of them. Anyway, he stated that he got cursed out by them and that he had still not gotten over the situation. :headbang:

I took him at his word, but with his attitude I would not be surprised to learn that his customer service skills initiated that experience for him. :argue:

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
Whenever I wear my dead beat suit I get the same treatment. I usually sneak back in the dark and set fire to the A-holes business.
Ya never know what your gonna get. We had one guy praise us for not having loud pipes at a stop in Idaho.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This reminds me of another incident last summer on the way home from vacation. My family and I pulled off I-26 at Hwy. 72 in Clinton, SC to a BP station that was advertising a decent price on gas. Upon entering the station and hooking up to the pump I realized that the price was for cash only but it was in very small vinyl letters on their big sign. It pissed me off as I remembered stopping at the same station a year earlier and left without gas after going inside first to use the restroom and the guys attitude combined with the slightly false advertising.

This time, I politely filled up and listened to others pulling up to the pumps figure out that the price was bogus. I also noticed a young girl standing outside of her car talking on the phone and crying. I saw that she had a coat hanger in her hand and had apparently locked herself out of her car. I finished filling up and pulled out of the way and went over to her and offered her assistance with trying to unlock the car. At the same time another man did the same and we began to try and make entry into the car. She said that she had called a locksmith 1hr. and a police 1-2hr. wait times. We were making slow but steady progress when the owner came out and demanded that we remove the vehicle away from the pumps as we were costing him money. We kindly stepped aside and offered to allow him to push the parked car. As he stood there trying to intimidate us into performing a miracle, we laughed as it was all we could do and continued about our work. After about 30 minutes of work we finally were able to get the young lady's car open and she informed us that she was a Clemson student trying to get back to school after having gone home for the weekend. I felt good about the situation and hope that someday if my daughter ever needs honest assistance that someone will do the same for her.

I will never ever go back to that business and would encourage anyone who knows where I am talking about to consider this story before stopping there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts