·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... you should probably turn it off. :)

(From GPS World, March 2007)

-------------------------

Crime Doesn't Pay. Really.

Three thieves who allegedly stole 14 GPS devices led police right to their Long Island home, reports the New York Post. Officials said the thieves didn't even know what they had: they thought the GPS devices were cell phones, which they planned to sell.

According to Suffolk County police, the GPS devices were stolen January 19 from the Babylon Public Works garage. The city of Babylon planned to use them to track its municipal fleet.

Police and municipal staff said they remotely activated the devices and were led to the home of one of the culprits, who was found fiddling with one of them.

"The GPS device is quite beneficial when we are looking for something," said detective Robert Casagne of Suffolk County. "Within 48 hours we had the individuals under arrest."

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is too funny. :) It also reminds me of that story of some guy trying to evade police by running into the woods during the late evening. Turns out the guy had the shoes with the LED's in them that light up upon heel pressure. So they just followed him to his capture.

Crime doesn't pay...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ha Ha! This needs to be put on dumb crook news.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That reminds me of the news story not too long ago about a couple of burglars who stole some police walkie-talkies and used them to arrange a meeting for a celebration. .... The police overheard the conversation and were waiting for them at the bar. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I remember chasing a guy through some back yards. Every yard with a motion detector light lit up when he ran in.

Is shooting fish in a barrel a good analogy.
We didn't actually shoot him, but we did point out his mistake.

It was a good advert for motion detector lights! :)

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
We've got FLIR (thermal) cameras at work. They're great for sneaking up on people who think they're hiding. Having night-vision goggles helps, too.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
We've got FLIR (thermal) cameras at work. They're great for sneaking up on people who think they're hiding. Having night-vision goggles helps, too.
That's too easy!

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
Operating one of those FLIR cameras is almost like playing a video game.

"OK, they're 100 yards in front of you... turn half-right... now just a little east.. NO I MEAN WEST!! 50 yards... I think they hear you... one's trying to sneak off but I'm watching him... OK, he's running, but the group's still laid up... they're hiding under that big mesquite bush to your left... no, your other left. Sorry. Yep, you got them all except the one runner... good job!" Great fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts