Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... where would you go? Here's why I ask: I have a.... ahem... significant birthday coming up early next year (May) and I'm thinking of grabbing my Dad (who I ride with a lot) and taking a week-long motorcycle journey to celebrate. I know a week isn't a long time in the scheme of things, but with a crazy job and 2 small kids, that's going to be about the extent of it. Only requirements are that I can start at my front door (outside of Atlanta) and that it allows for time to stop and "smell the roses" as it were.... :hurray:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Absolutely the Blue Ridge Parkway and the surrounding areas, especially if you’ve never been. I went year before last and will go back again next year if time permits. Also, in my opinion, the prettiest sections and best ridding is the southern part within North Carolina. And if you have the time the southern terminus is close enough to hit the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
If you plan on the Blue Ride Parkway in May, you'll definately want to check for closures. If this winter is anything like last winter, there may still be sections littered with trees and rocks until May and beyond.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I've spent a lot of time in the "Dragon" area, so I'd like to see something different. But, a larger portion of the BRP might be nice!
Maybe you could blast down I-85 to the SC border and pick up Hwy 11 to North on 130* which becomes 281* at the NC State Line, Take a right onto Charlie's Creek / Camp Pinhook Road* to North on 215* to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

On the way you can see some waterfalls and numerous great overlooks on the way. If you leave early enough, you should be able to catch a late lunch / early supper at the Pisgah Inn near Asheville. Head down the Parkway to Hwy 151* and find your way to Asheville for the night with the highest brewer per capita number of any city in the USA.

* = Delightfully twisty.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Oooohhh. Asheville would be nice!
You could spend a few days in Asheville and do "spur" rides each day:

Hot Springs, Mt. Mitchell and environs, Lake Lure and environs.

This way you can spend your days riding with no luggage instead of travelling with full cases and spending otherwise rideable hours packing, checking out, checking in and unpacking, etc.

I could give you a bunch of entertaining routes in the area. Of course. payment for this service can be made in "pints" next May at the Wedge Brewery or Asheville Pizza and Brew or Jack of the Wood or even Barley's.

You could buy yourself a DeLorme Gazetteer for NC and just pick out the squiggliest route. The only downside is the gazetteer isn't real good at indicating where the paved roads become unpaved.

Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
37 Posts
I definitely would recommend taking StrominNromans advice. You could easily spend a week riding the mountains of Western North Carolina and SE Tennessee. Absolutely the best riding I have ever experienced.
I will absolutely second this recommendation. I'm from Clemson and grew up riding all around that area. Last year, I spent 6 days and went from Charlottesville to Atlanta and back at a pretty easy pace. The first day was a long one, riding from the start of the BRP all the way to Asheville.

You could do a similar trip to the one I did with plenty of time to relax on the way, but honestly the BRP in NC is twice as good as it is in VA. There are parts near Roanoke that are almost boring (I like twisties).

You could ride between Cherokee and Mt. Mitchell and have a blast, head back to Asheville and make it your base for exploration. If you haven't seen the Biltmore house, it's 100% worth it to go and take the tour, visit the winery and have a good meal. I recommend eating at Tupelo Honey in Asheville, btw.

28 in SC/NC is amazing. 130 is also fantastic. 151 west of Asheville, heading to the BRP is a ridiculous road with non-stop hairpins, a spring the locals drink out of, and a local bear that lives nearby.

I want to go again! :thumbup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can understand your dillema. Where you're located you can pick just about any direction & have tons of great rides. All the previous suggestions are excellent. I lived in your neck of the woods for many years: Warner Robins, Gainsville, Douglasville & have traveld all over the state. I also lived in the Asheville, NC area (Swannanoa) for about 1.5 years so definitely NE GA, western NC, SE Tennesee are awesome rides. You could also head east to Savannah, ride up the coast a ways, then cut up through SC & then into NC & pick up the BRP somewhere. Or you could head west for some nice ridin' through 'Bama & down to Mobile.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
151 west of Asheville, heading to the BRP is a ridiculous road with non-stop hairpins, a spring the locals drink out of, and a local bear that lives nearby.
Last May (as a matter of fact) I was heading down 151 to meet up with a couple of 'Troopers from Indiana. I came around one of the aforementioned hairpins and guess what?

She had a cub who ran up the bank. Mama Bear just stood in the middle of the road looking at me, then the cub, then me, then the cub............eventually she left the road and I went on by. About a month later, I came across another, or possibly thr same, bear with two cubs on the BRP not far from the this one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Or you could just join in the fun at the: Linky V-Strom Get-Together East IX at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort and ride all of the above roads and then get to hang out with a bunch of really cool folks who also like to ride!!! Great roads, good food and choice of lodging options. (Beer drinking if you choose :thumbup:)

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Or you could just join in the fun at the: Linky V-Strom Get-Together East IX at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort and ride all of the above roads and then get to hang out with a bunch of really cool folks who also like to ride!!! Great roads, good food and choice of lodging options. (Beer drinking if you choose :thumbup:)
Thanks for reminding me, I've managed to miss it the last couple of years. It wasn't for lack of trying, life just got in the way.

·
Registered
645 Posts
From Atl., I can hit most of western NC & east Tn on 2-3 day weekends (which I do frequently). If I had a whole week, I'd keep on going to Va. & West Va. Maybe Pa. and the Ohio R. valley area. I've got the Ozarks in my sights for week-long trip also.. :yesnod:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh THIS is cool! Somehow I missed it. Perfect timing too. :yikes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Last May (as a matter of fact) I was heading down 151 to meet up with a couple of 'Troopers from Indiana. I came around one of the aforementioned hairpins and guess what?

She had a cub who ran up the bank. Mama Bear just stood in the middle of the road looking at me, then the cub, then me, then the cub............eventually she left the road and I went on by. About a month later, I came across another, or possibly thr same, bear with two cubs on the BRP not far from the this one.
That's awesome! I didn't see her the bear myself but the locals filled me in as they filled up their water jugs.

These pictures show some of the elevation change you can expect.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
To further the praises of this delightfull little slice of road, I remembered I had this brief video:

YouTube - 151BTDpulloff.avi

The thing is, there are dozens of roads like this in the region (in West Virginia, too). If you like this kind of riding, you can spend a week kissing your mirror. If you want a "journey" the coastal/mountain loop sounds great.

Edit: Watching the video again, I am reminded to warn visitors to the mountains:
"Mind the centerline." I've seen too many close calls when folks come up for a ride. Including my best friend trading paint with a pickup pulling a camper on the way to the Dragon.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts