StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Vendor
6,090 Posts
BMW K75. It was a top heavy beast, and I was too dumb to seek out the factory low seat. But that triple sound at high revs was just amazing to me.
I lusted after the k1000 in te early 90s. it was a time when there was no way i could afford it. so i set my sights on the 750, but never got it either. Camping and dirt bikes for the whole family kept my finances humble.

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
Like Macdoc it would be my 305 Superhawk(Same Color). Bought in the spring of my Sr. year in 65. Put almost 20K on it that year. Did a 2 up trip with a buddy on back to Polson and Roundup, MT from Seattle. Return trip home was a 975 mile, 23hr. ride all on 2 laners(No freeways back then).
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've only been riding for 5 years (and 6 bikes), so I lack the nostalgia some of you have. But given the opportunity to get any of those first 5 back.. nah, there's still too many bikes I want to try to worry about the one's I've already been on.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Although I can't pin down exactly Why... My '82 GS750E. It just did Everything I asked of it well.
A close second would be my (first of 6) Yamaha RD-400... "Dennis the Mennice with treaded tires" my friends said! After extensive modifications, a true 'Giant Killer' of the 1st order! I won a LOT of money with that bike running against 750+ sized bikes!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Gotta be my old 500/4.

Had an accident in my fathers car and wrote it off, (my fault no insurance), bought him another car, was paying it off and saved enough $'s to put a deposit on the 500/4.........Had it 11 days when a cager turned in front of me. No damage to me but my friend on the back went over the car and broke his toe on the roof as he went over. Lucky no damage when he went head first onto the pavement.....Pavement suffered for year though:LOL:

Bent the frame and it spent 12 months in my bedroom and a shift into a house i bought untill i got it fixed and back together. ...........it got stolen once and the thief ran out of fuel and ditched it, literally in a ditch. Was found with the bars slightly cocked no other damage.

Had other bikes i liked as much, (73 DT250, 83 XS650), but this one i had a couple of dreams about, (years after selling it), and woke up thinking i still had it for a few seconds.

Couldn't afford mufflers on the rebuild so made chicken wire baffles that worked well around town, man that bike sang a beautiful note out of the borough winding out. got a custom paint job, (this was the late 70's) to go with it.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Fuel tank Vehicle Plant Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
For me none of them. I had a 1983 v50 MK3 that I thought I regretted selling. Several years later I had the opportunity to buy it back. Had the money. Had space in the garage and had no desire to buy it back.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I lusted after the k1000 in te early 90s. it was a time when there was no way i could afford it. so i set my sights on the 750, but never got it either. Camping and dirt bikes for the whole family kept my finances humble.
In 1983 I purchased a new R100rs boxer, the trade in they gave me for my well used 1976 R100rs was more than I paid for it, the salesman didn't think I knew about the the arrival of the 4 cylinder.

After agreeing to the deal his comment to me was "you will be back next week for the new model"

He had a stunned look on his face when I "no I won't I wanted the boxer"

I have fond memories of my Chibi but it was so ugly I don't want it back.

Reactions: richlandrick

·
aka Rick in Alabama
503 Posts
2000 R1100RT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've never owned a bike I didn't like a lot. But the one I should have kept is the '68 Bonneville. I loved it then because it was so cool but I'd probably learn to ride it better now. Besides, what kind of idiot sells a '68 Bonneville. Best, DD

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would have to say either one of the 2 Suzuki RG 500 gamma’s that I had.
On second thought, there is no way I could ride a gamma for any distance nowadays, so it’s truly a fantasy.

·
Registered
2015 VStrom 650 Adventure
14 Posts
It would be my 1988 BMW R100RS in Pearl White. It meet it demise Oct. 28 1992 when a 6 point white tailed buck jumped in front of it. The bike and the deer both passed away that night.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting

Not a pretty pic but only one I have left. Taken after a 5600 mile trip to Crater Lake, West Coast and home.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts

If one popped up F/S today and you had the money would you buy it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
1985 Honda V65 Sabre. Mine was a naked though. A seat and wheels bolted to a giant 1100cc 90 degree V4 engine. Smooth, powerful, shaft drive and weighed a ton, well about 600lbs.

It was my third bike. I recall walking into Shawnee Kawasaki Honda in Shawnee, Kansas sometime in 1987 and seeing it sitting in a corner covered with a layer of dust. New leftover. MSRP was $5K IIRC and I got it for $2900. I still have a keyfob they gave me with the dealership name on it.

·
Super Moderator
4,703 Posts
Probably the first motorbike I bought in 1968 - a secondhand Yamaha YDS2 - a pic of it below. (I had previously owned a Vespa 125 scooter in about 1961).

I think I'd look silly on it now - I'm probably 40kg heavier.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Err! Tough one this....
Emotionally...my old "Bitsa" Norton that I built from scratch back in 1964. Still have the photos I took of it after completion. I rode it to work and toured on it.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Financially.....my 500 Norton Manx race bike!!

21 - 40 of 87 Posts