StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my lower cowl, I installed it at the dealership in the parking lot. No problem after you figure out where all the parts go. However, I noticed the cowl touches the radiator hose on the right hand side at the top. This can't be good for the radiator hose long term. I pulled the top bolt and took aviation snips and trimmed a little quarter moon shape off the cowl. After an all day ride, I noticed that the radiator hose had shifted down and out a bit more, so I had to trim a little more to keep it from touching.

I think I could have achieved the same thing by loosening the radiator hose clamp where it goes into the engine and rotating the hose a bit to move it away from the cowl, however, a little trim seemed to work also.

Check your clearance on the hose. I think over time the cowl, left to rub would make a hole in the hose.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I rotated the hose slightly inwards to clear the cowl when I installed. It's been working great so far.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine doesn't touch either...

That's odd. Mine does't touch the hose.
The guy at the shop did have a bit of a struggle fitting it in place, perhaps because of the stock bars, or perhaps he'd never done one. But the cowling seems a safe distance from the hose.
This forum's great for stuff like that... Now at 4K km I need to tighten the chain. And figure out that darn engine vibration @ 4800 rpm as discussed in another thread.

·
Registered
54 Posts
reversed

Sounds like the support bar may be installed backward if the hose is rubbing. Is that possible? Mine is clear by nearly half an inch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just went out and pulled the cowling and I couldn't figure out how to reverse the support bar. As I recall, there is no way you could install the brackets incorrectly, they will only fit one way.

I did rotate the radiator hose while I was down there and that fixed the problem. There is no about a half inch clearance. This is probably a better solution than trimming away the cowling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts