StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm glad all of you are following her, season 1 is worth it too...inspiring...imagine riding all day, then going through your video recordings, doing the edit, up to 20 odd minutes for each post and then up the next day on the road ready for the next road less traveled adventure. I wish...the more who watch the more it will finance her journey forward. Cheers and let's hammer down the curve and this virus, sooner the better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I dont follow, I lead and live my own life.
I’ll go ahead and apologize beforehand but.....Wow...thanks Phil! How many beers down before you decided to toss us that fine nugget of wisdom and self promotion??
I’m thinking you may not be familiar with YouTube and not sure what following means?...(hint...it has to do with videos, motion pictures with sound and everything, they call it entertainment!!)
You keep banging your own drum Bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
I admire anyone who can do such a thing and perhaps even enjoys it, most certainly not my cup of tea however.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Great production value for one person! Quite excellent.
Perhaps this is due to the lockdown, but I found the videos to be lacking in the motorcycle adventure department.

edit: Went and watched the first couple episodes. Much better. Looks like she’s in for an adventure 👍

·
Registered
579 Posts
Perhaps this is due to the lockdown, but I found the videos to be lacking in the motorcycle adventure department.
Agree, but I can't really blame her for it. Her YouTube channel pays for a fair amount of her travel costs. If she just stopped producing video content when she got back to the Netherlands and went into lockdown, that income stream would completely dry up. By producing some content, even slightly off-topic compared to her earlier work, at least she keeps her channel and her subscriptions alive. She needs that when she eventually continues the Patagonia-Alaska trip.

When the Dutch borders were closed for non-essential travel she made some nice content about Dutch history and culture. And now that non-essential travel within Europe is allowed again, I'm looking forward to some footage of that as well.

And, hey, despite everything, it's a lot better than the lockdown-video that Lyndon Poskitt got out. (Although I admit that that video captured the boredom of the lockdown a lot better than what Noraly did.)

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
She just got a used Honda 500. I think she will like this new partner.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
"You keep banging your own drum Bud! "
I don't watch many of these videos either. Not that I get to go adventuring myself but I don't get that much from the vicarious experience of others.
If you are bored enough to arm chair the world let U tube be your window.
i'm not sure but some of these people can make a living providing videos for the bored to view. Has to do with the number of subscribers and advertising. I don't feel like paying someone else to do my living for me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
i'm not sure but some of these people can make a living providing videos for the bored to view. Has to do with the number of subscribers and advertising.
I'm following a few of these motorcycle adventurers. They usually start out from their own savings and when they get a big enough following on social media in general, they can just about break even. If they live frugally.

But they have to put the hours in. New videos multiple times a week, daily updates on Instagram, a Facebook page, Twitter, selling merchandise through web shops, ... It's hard work. If you watch Itchy Boots halfway through season 2 (just after she reached Bolivia I think - around episode 50) you can see how tough it really is. She rode for six hours a day, then spent at least three more editing, and a few more on arranging all the other things that need to be arranged on a long motorcycle trip.

Heck, just copying the video footage onto my laptop and recharging all the batteries took at least half an hour when I made an attempt at doing the same thing. And I only had one GoPro. These people typically have something like two GoPros, a handheld camera and a drone.

I see more and more of these adventurers moving to Patreon. Their sponsors can get a subscription and see the new videos first. There's also other ways of interacting with your audience, keeping the audience engaged and either directly or indirectly (advertising) keep the money flowing. Another thing that I saw that generated quite some money was the live chat: During such a chat people can donate money, and whatever is donated is made visible to the other chat viewers as well.

And of course those that have a large enough follower base can get sponsorships. Bikes and other gear.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Slaving over a laptop editing endless hours of video, Oh MY. I still ain't gonna support that vagabond lifestyle.
I spent too many years working diligently to provide for a family to eat up the results of a lark.
But that's what adventures do. So bless their little adventurous hearts. May they do well.
Actually I'm just jealous that I didn't live a capricious lifestyle. :mad:

·
Registered
264 Posts
You use a KTM to do a RTW, you had better be good at roadside repairs🤣🤣
I might be mistaken but I believe the 690 is kind of infamous for the rocker arm... May be why he just happened to have one with him.

I liked his your of the Arai factory

·
Registered
195 Posts
I read the articles that are in the Adventure Rider email. There is a contributor, Egle, that I find to present a well balanced perspective of whatever she writes about.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts