StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has been a long stganding problem with my '07 after I had it serviced in '08 after my Alaska trip. When cold, the fast idle only lasts a few seconds, then it idles low, about 900 rpm and the exhaust smells very rich. Then, after its warm, if you pull in the clutch and let off the throttle, it will not go below about 2500 rpm by itself. I have to force it down to about 1500 by braking. Then I can pull in the clutch and it will stay at idle speed, around 1200 rpm.

Until today.

Now, it wont hold idle. It will creep up to 2000-2500 rpm after about 10 seconds. i force it back down again with the clutch and it holds for a couple of seconds and creeps back up. And it's super rich. Sitting here now I can smell gas fumes on my clothes.

It's not mechanical, it has to be something with the EFI system. maybe a bad sensor? Or is the brain box completely baked? Any ideas will be appreciated.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Whoever serviced it screwed something up. Probably a vacuum leak - airbox to throttle body connection isn't right, or throttle body to intake manifolds, maybe both. Throttle position sensor (TPS) adjustment might be off, throttle bodies might be out of synch with each other too. All that could create a bike that runs like crap.

·
Registered
316 Posts
this has been a long stganding problem with my '07 after I had it serviced in '08 after my Alaska trip. When cold, the fast idle only lasts a few seconds, then it idles low, about 900 rpm and the exhaust smells very rich. Then, after its warm, if you pull in the clutch and let off the throttle, it will not go below about 2500 rpm by itself. I have to force it down to about 1500 by braking. Then I can pull in the clutch and it will stay at idle speed, around 1200 rpm.

Until today.

Now, it wont hold idle. It will creep up to 2000-2500 rpm after about 10 seconds. i force it back down again with the clutch and it holds for a couple of seconds and creeps back up. And it's super rich. Sitting here now I can smell gas fumes on my clothes.

It's not mechanical, it has to be something with the EFI system. maybe a bad sensor? Or is the brain box completely baked? Any ideas will be appreciated.
textbook overly lean. vacuum leak. boot probably not on or not tight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts