StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 DL1000 which currently has almost 175,000 km or a bit over 108,500 miles. I have had clutch dragging issues pretty much since I got it and this appears to finally have been fixed (thanks to @realshelby's modified Clutch Basket https://www.werksparts.com/.)

I think because of my clutch dragging I never noticed this before: When I pull in the clutch the idle drops. This doesn't matter whether it's in gear or not. When I release it the idle speeds up. As far as I know my generation of DL1000 never had the throttle assist when letting the clutch out that later models had. I doesn't seem be that as it isn't trying to keep the revs up. Ie it just seems to open the throttle slightly and stay there.

It also doesn't appear to be the result of something dragging the idle down as it doesn't matter if I am in gear or not and it happens at exactly the same point of travel of the clutch lever; I suspect when the clutch switch is activated. It also reacts a second or so after pulling in the clutch. If I am at a traffic light in neutral with the clutch lever released and pull in the clutch a moment later the idle has dropped from about 1,4000 to closer to 1,100. If I then put it in first the clunk is a bit less than if I did it quickly.

(I rarely go to neutral at lights but have been experimenting with how little my clutch drags now and how easy it is going into neutral and back into gear.)

Have you noticed this before?

..Tom

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2015 definitely does bump the idle as the clutch is let out. If I pull the clutch lever to the bar and the clutch switch is triggered it will idle as if in neutral, but if I two finger the lever and it rests on my ring and pinky fingers then the revs stay higher

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I had the EUC upgrade done to my 2014 and it now bumps up the idle but only when it is in gear, if the bike is in neutral it stays low.

I preferred the old ECU for that reason, I don't need or want a higher idle.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My 2015 V2 does the same... If I pull in the clutch all the way the idle drops to its recommended level... As I release the clutch lever slowly or if I don't fully pull it in when coming to a stop, it idles maybe 100 rpm faster. It's done this since day 1 with both the original ecu and the recall ecu.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Confirm: I had the EUC upgrade done to my 2014 and after that it bumps up the idle when you let out the clutch lever. I think it's controlled by the clutch safety switch contact.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confirm: I had the EUC upgrade done to my 2014 and after that it bumps up the idle when you let out the clutch lever. I think it's controlled by the clutch safety switch contact.
By playing with the lever a bit you can find the exact point where it changes the revs. Interesting that there is a delay in dropping the revs and knowing there is that little bit of delay can help reduced the clunking when you go from neutral to first.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Low RPM Assist

I think this is a feature.
"Low RPM Assist
By adopting the new Low RPM assist system, the concern of an unexpected engine stall has been relieved. This system will automatically raise the idle speed when releasing the clutch or when riding at low rpms, assisting frequent clutch work in congested city rides and preventing sudden and unexpected engine stalling when riding in the low rpm range."

It first appeared on the 2015 SV so very likely on the V-Strom 650 as well. I don't remember it being in the Wee brochure until 2016, but I wasn't looking.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,147 Posts
I think this is a feature.
"Low RPM Assist
By adopting the new Low RPM assist system, the concern of an unexpected engine stall has been relieved. This system will automatically raise the idle speed when releasing the clutch or when riding at low rpms, assisting frequent clutch work in congested city rides and preventing sudden and unexpected engine stalling when riding in the low rpm range."

It first appeared on the 2015 SV so very likely on the V-Strom 650 as well. I don't remember it being in the Wee brochure until 2016, but I wasn't looking.
Yes, it is a feature of the newer DL 650. But these are 2014+ DL 1000's they are wondering about in this thread. I don't think I have seen Suzuki literature claiming the new 1000 has this feature?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mine's a 2014 1000 and it had all of the TSBs addressed by dealer. It does the same thing.. idle drops as the clutch switch is activated. Meaning it bumps up the idle to prevent stalling as you ease out the clutch. Not a necessary feature, but also not all that intrusive.

·
Registered
365 Posts
funny you mention this, i noticed this for the first time just yesterday. Pulled in the garage after a ride, pulled in the clutch to switch into neutral, and the idle dropped below set idle, then leveled out to normal. I didnt think much of it.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
funny you mention this, i noticed this for the first time just yesterday. ...
I have had my DL1000 almost 175,000 km / 108,500+ miles before I noticed it!

..Tom

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Yes, it is a feature of the newer DL 650. But these are 2014+ DL 1000's they are wondering about in this thread. I don't think I have seen Suzuki literature claiming the new 1000 has this feature?
OOops ! Thanks. I looked at the first bike in V-Tom's signature and stopped reading even to the word "sold".

You're correct, not on the V2 it only has elevated idle right at cold startup.

I did learn recently that we do have, on the V2, the same sketchy clutch lever switch as the GSXR which can do a slow fail and effect the ECU behavior. In my case it put me into "limp mode". The early warning (which I missed) was that the bike would start without having to pull in the clutch. This may not be related at all to this post. But I do now carry a spare. [for the record, GreyWolf spotted this a year before he left]

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On my 2016 the opposite happens as far as I can see, but it has had the ECU replaced.
Are you sure? With an engine at normal operating temperature put it in neutral. Note the idle speed. Let go of the clutch lever and wait a moment. Does the idle drop? Then pull in the lever and see if the idle speed increases.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
As was told to me by the Suzuki District Service Manager, the ECU replacement was programmed to replicate the same characteristics as the '18 ECU-including the Low RPM Assist feature-less the Euro4 emissions compliance feature.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Are you sure? With an engine at normal operating temperature put it in neutral. Note the idle speed. Let go of the clutch lever and wait a moment. Does the idle drop? Then pull in the lever and see if the idle speed increases.

..Tom
Yep, sure. Today I was out on the bike. At some point during my ride I was stopped at a contra flow with a few minutes to spare. This issue came to mind. So the bike was in neutral and ticking over. I pulled and held the clutch lever to the bar several times and there was no change in revs. By then I had about 70/80kms of the trip completed so the bike was totally up to temperature.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, sure. Today I was out on the bike. At some point during my ride I was stopped at a contra flow with a few minutes to spare. This issue came to mind. So the bike was in neutral and ticking over. I pulled and held the clutch lever to the bar several times and there was no change in revs. By then I had about 70/80kms of the trip completed so the bike was totally up to temperature.
Did you leave the lever pulled in for a second or two? Was the bike at normal operating temperature (I don't know if this applies to idling when cold as I pretty much never idle my bike when cold.) It takes a moment to drop the revs. (Sounds like this was the case for you.)

Perhaps the programming of the ECU is different for Europe vs North America.

..Tom

·
Registered
297 Posts
Did you leave the lever pulled in for a second or two? Was the bike at normal operating temperature (I don't know if this applies to idling when cold as I pretty much never idle my bike when cold.) It takes a moment to drop the revs. (Sounds like this was the case for you.)

Perhaps the programming of the ECU is different for Europe vs North America.

..Tom

Well up to temperature as I was 70/80kms into a run.

The clutch was held for several seconds to see if the revs would change. Then i did the same several times to ensure this wasn't a one off.

It is possible that the programming is different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts