StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 06 DL650, the idle is around 800, what should it be? This is my first FI bike, is there a knob to set or some fancy science. Oh love it

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You can find that info in the manual... or Google it as I just did... Idle screw on the left hand side should be set between 1250 ~ 1300 rpm.... or so..

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The idle speed adjuster is on the left side of the frame. The spec is 1300rpm +/- 100.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now why do I need a manual with you guys, :mrgreen:
Thanks Canadian and Graywolf, would go out right now and take a spin so I could set the idle but the weather is getting nasty, got soaked this morning going to DMV to register.

You can find that info in the manual... or Google it as I just did... Idle screw on the left hand side should be set between 1250 ~ 1300 rpm.... or so..

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Just picked up an 06 DL650, the idle is around 800, what should it be? This is my first FI bike, is there a knob to set or some fancy science. Oh love it
I believe that the 2006 model was the last year to have an idle adjustment screw. From 2007 on there is no mention of that adjustment using an idle adjustment screw.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I believe that the 2006 model was the last year to have an idle adjustment screw. From 2007 on there is no mention of that adjustment using an idle adjustment screw.
Right. Starting in 2007, an idle speed control valve automatically keeps the idle at the correct rpm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Old post, but for the record at 800 it may stall at idle... maybe not even produce enough oil pressure. I don't like it at 1300 RPM though. FWIW I set mine to 1100 RPM two years an 18,000 miles ago, with no stall issues Summer or Winter, and no other problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1 on that. Just because it will tolerate a low idle is a poor reason to maintain it there. You need 1100 rpm or more to sustain oil pressure.
I have a 2007 vstrom 650 with 65,000 miles and it not wanting to idle. I notice the ISC valve makes a clicking noise when I turn the bike off but I have taken it off and watched it move up and down so it work. Would that valve stop my bike from idling? When I start it it goes to 1300 rpm and then drops to 500 rpm and dies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check to see whether you have the throttle lever gap set correctly:
View attachment 271421
[/QUOTE
Right. Starting in 2007, an idle speed control valve automatically keeps the idle at the correct rpm.
On my 2007 dl650 it stalled while I was riding and now after doing a high pressure fuel filter bypass, tps, coils and plugs it still having trouble idling. After I able to let it warm up at 1100- 1000 rpm I turn it off and then try to restart the bike and it doesn’t want to do it? Any idea what it could be.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Reading your thread, 07 dl650 starts but stall right away, maybe it is best if we continue with the discussion over on that thread? It makes for easier understanding of all the steps that you have already covered, in trying to localise the fault, in one area. Hopefully the other members can offer help in finding a solution.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts