StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Vstrom Dl650 K05 - 45000kms
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction
I bought my Dl650 K05 in 2014 with 24000kms and now have 45000.
2 years ago the hose fuel tank water drain became clogged without me noticing and the result was that water started to flow into the fuel tank. The bike occasionally lost power until it finally stopped working. I took it to a workshop and they saw that the problem was the water and the problem was solved.
After a some months, the bike when it warmed up would shut down at idle.
After a lot of searching I ended up changing the back cylinder spark plug cap and the problem improved a lot.
The problem happened only from time to time, sometimes daily, sometimes every 15 days ... It depends. Now the rotation starts to descend until 1000rpm until the engine ends up shutting down. Sometimes I notice that when this happens, the bike works only with the front cylinder. In addition, the problem happened only from time to time, sometimes daily, sometimes every 15 days ... It depends. In addition, I noticed that when I accelerate to 3000 or 4000 thousand revolutions and keep the accelerator stable, the revolutions vary by 300/400 rpm.

In the meantime, I have already changed the two spark plugs caps. I changed the spark plugs (which with a few kilometers are very black, making me understand that the mixture is very rich). I also changed the rear cylinder ignition coil.
The TPS values are correct, as well as the injector values. I cant find any cable problems and the electrical current flows normally between ecm and the injectors (i found that someone had that problem) In dealer mode there's no error. the vacuum tubes are apparently in good condition. Yesterday I noticed that when the engine is hot if try to rotate the throttle in the opposite direction to normal, when I apply pressure the rotations drops immediately and the problem appears right away. Even when the engine is cold, if pressure is applied in the opposite direction to the throtle, the rotations drops by about 200 rpm. (a few months ago I noticed that the accelerator was a little bit stuck, but with wd40 it started to work normally). I have already taken the bike to two workshops (one of them official) and they do not found the problem.

This is really pissing me off.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actualy about TPS readings, the min resistence it's normal, and the max value is 4,16 and not 4,26 as expected (in the manual).

·
Registered
541 Posts
There isn't a valid TPS test, you replace it if there are symptoms of a TPS problem and the symptoms here indicate it's a likely suspect. A bad TPS is heat and position sensitive. It can test okay and be bad. There is no good test procedure. It isn't that expensive and replacement is a good idea if a long enough ride to get it hot causes problems.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
1+
Also make sure not only the vacuum hoses but also all the caps are truly in good condition. However the fact that the problems are intermittent points to an electrical reason I would think. If the TPS does not fix it I would replace both sets of ignition coils, wires, plug caps, to be sure. Get a used set (maybe not as old as your bike) from E-Bay.

And WELCOME to the forum! Add more info about your ride to the signature, you get better answers that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers. I think i will change the TPS. I thought about TPS almost from the start but i thought that a bad tps wouldn't cause the engine working only in one cylinder. The caps are both new.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
You are correct
Thanks for the answers. I think i will change the TPS. I thought about TPS almost from the start but i thought that a bad tps wouldn't cause the engine working only in one cylinder. The caps are both new.
I agree I also don't think the tps will cause only one cylinder to fail. But the other symptoms could be the tps.

Also make sure the throttle body boots are firmly connected. They sometimes come off if the engine pops or for other reasons and that then causes all kinds of issues.

Then here is a long shot. The spark plug wells have a drain hole that sometimes gets clogged up and causes running issues when its wet because the plugs get shorted out with water accumulation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that drain was clogged. The suzuky mechanic saw that. So there's another problem not in the way... :)

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
I think a bad clutch switch causes poor or erratic idle...check it. When it's acting up, un plug the clutch switch and see it there is any change.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
The clutch switch problem is only on 2007 & later bikes.

I think the 2005 could have a idle screw but you would need to check that as I have never worked on one.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update... i ordered a new tps (not an original one). I will install it after arrival and see if the problem is solved.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The manual hot idle speed adjuster on the K4 - K6 Wee, is located on the left hand side of the frame, in the Y section of the frame above the gearshift. The idle spec is 1300rpm +/- 100.
If and when you do get around to replace the TPS, rotate the TPS in small segments at a time, giving a second or two for the display to repond to the ECU signal. The FI code display replaces the clock / time display, when in dealer mode. The goal of the TPS adjustment is to get the minus sign of the C00 (aka -C00 when in dealer mode), to raise from mid to upper position at around 2,100 to 2,500 rpm.
Edit: dealer mode connector Diagnostic (or Dealer) Mode. What is this? and FAQ: Dealer Mode & FI Error Codes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts