StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else's bike have a distinct knocking noise at idle when the engine is hot? Turn the engine off for a few minutes and its disappears when the engine is restarted, so it's temperature related. The knock reduces in volume when the clutch lever is pulled in. It started at about 1000 km.

The gearbox is decidedly rougher on changing up than my 2008 650 has ever been. It's very smooth in the downshift. How's the gearbox on other folks bikes?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sounds like the old clutch basket glitch! Probably it will knock when cold too but may be slightly worse at operating temp.
Silly question, but have you made sure the oil is up to the full mark or near to it?
The 650 does have a very slick gearbox!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
About 1800 miles now and I hear the slight knock at idle when hot, as has been reported by a couple of others. No problems with the gearbox though, it's been typical Suzuki smooth, there is a clunk shifting from first to second though. I do the same as on my Wee, push the earplugs in a little deeper so I don't think about the noise.

I have picked up an annoying squeak in the clutch lever that I need to take care of. But no shifting problems at all.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Its sounds like "ride more, worry less" to me. I have a really BIG issue with the 2014 V.

That large LCD speedo is really distracting as the digits change in my peripheral vision. It distracts me from the piston slap, cam chain rattle and all those other things. :yikes:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hey, I owned a Guzzi! Noises? Clunks? Don't even notice.:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Its sounds like "ride more, worry less" to me. I have a really BIG issue with the 2014 V.

That large LCD speedo is really distracting as the digits change in my peripheral vision. It distracts me from the piston slap, cam chain rattle and all those other things. :yikes:

Just a thought, have you tried dimming the display? It is on "full bright" by default, mine is now at 4/6 setting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got an 02 with just over 50K on it. Its new to me but I think its got the Idle Hammer. Does anyone know of a recording of the sound I could listen to so I can be sure?

·
Administrator
17,504 Posts
I've got an 02 with just over 50K on it. Its new to me but I think its got the Idle Hammer. Does anyone know of a recording of the sound I could listen to so I can be sure?
It is a metallic sounding knock that typically becomes less when you pull in the clutch, it is annoying to some but not going to hurt anything. Run a 50 weight oil and it softens it up a bit, my 05 had a slight knock but was much less when I ran 15W50 oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its it a high pitched metallic "clink" or more low pitched "thocka-thocka"?
The noise makes be picture heavy ball bearings rolling around in a heavy aluminum casting.

I've also read that the clutch basket rattle and the idle hammer are different.

I can't find any really info on if this is causing premature wear or is just sort of an annoyance.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Its it a high pitched metallic "clink" or more low pitched "thocka-thocka"?
"Thocka Thocka" is pretty accurate based on how mine sounds. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine does it and it's pretty loud when the engine is warm. 650 miles on the clock with new oil filled just below the top fill line. The transmission, by contrast, feels smooth rowing up and down the gearbox. This is my first big V twin and first V Strom in particular so I don't have anything else to compare it to. Seems to still be smooth and vibration free while riding though.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I suppose none have heard a KTM 1190R at Idle. One dozen Nuts lose in the crankcase, Or a Ducati Multistrada, that adds the Bolts as well as the Nuts.
Its a V twin thing. Massive airpumps in two cylinders plus cam chain flutter, and 8 valves banging against valve seats, mixed with drive gears, clutch springs and Emission reticulation systems working overtime. Don't like the Metal music then get back in a soundproofed cage or get an electric Bike.

To me its a Mechanical Symphony waiting to be unleashed and the band is just warming up. Your the Conductor and your baton is your right hand that brings it all together around 4,000 - 10,000 beats per Minute.. Oh the burble and bark, the whine, the whistle and glorious pulse of a big V- Twin on full song....... Mozart would cry at its Aural Seduction. :yesnod:
Now leave the computer and go and experience it because its NOT played in Heaven. For the Love of God, you have the Baton- Use it or lose it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its a well known issue with the DLs and SVs. My last Duc rattle like a cracker jack box. As this is my first BIG V-twin (had a few 500-600cc ones) I'm just getting used to the noise and trying to sort out the dangerous ones from the normal ones. 50k is nothing to shake a stick at and I'd like to get several more from it!:thumbup:

·
Registered
888 Posts
I get a "thwap!" Sound when cornering hard or overtaking suddenly.
It is also accompanied by sore ribs.
Also it only happens two up with the wife.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since starting this thread I've ridden into Alice Springs in central Australia, about 3000 km from home and the local Suzuki dealer is of the opinion that something sounds very wrong. They are going to play around with changing the oil tomorrow and if that doesn't help they'll seek approval from Suzuki Australia to pull the clutch apart. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts