StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I recently bought a 2018 VStrom 1000XT demo with 2200kms. I've noticed a couple things which I'm not sure are working correctly...

The idle seems a bit rough. YouTube video - idle. It doesn't sound like the typical VStrom, does it?

It also doesn't hold steady rpms when in neutral. If I rev it to about 4000rpm, and keep the throttle steady, the rpms fluctuate between 4500 to 3500.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
That's a normal 'v-strom idle'

I'm not sure why you'd be trying to hold rpms in neutral, not good on the engine with no load. It might be the computer trying to stop you from causing damage.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a normal 'v-strom idle'

I'm not sure why you'd be trying to hold rpms in neutral, not good on the engine with no load. It might be the computer trying to stop you from causing damage.
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought the idle usually has more of a 'chirp' sound.
I was just holding the rpms just to see if there was any stumbling because I've also noticed some surging when riding at a steady speed...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don’t have any issues with mine but there are a few threads about the throttle position sensor being set wrong from day one. I have checked mine and it is correct.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi - I recently bought a 2018 VStrom 1000XT demo with 2200kms. I've noticed a couple things which I'm not sure are working correctly...

The idle seems a bit rough. YouTube video - idle. It doesn't sound like the typical VStrom, does it?

It also doesn't hold steady rpms when in neutral. If I rev it to about 4000rpm, and keep the throttle steady, the rpms fluctuate between 4500 to 3500.

Any thoughts?
I have a new 2018 purchased in February. It has had 'rough idle' since the day I bought it and the dealer told me that was normal. Yours sounds a lot better than mine! Mine goes in for service in 2 weeks to a dealer I trust. They are going to look at the rough idle and a noise coming from the engine that appeared after my first oil change that has been diagnosed by a few different people as being different things. Stay tuned... and Ride Safe!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but I'm in New Brunwsick.
I will hopefully be in New Brunswick later this summer! Hoping to do an East Coast trip. I wouldn't worry, your bike sounds perfectly normal to me at idle. The other part is tough to say without actually riding it. Might be worth having the dealer inspect it.

I have a new 2018 purchased in February. It has had 'rough idle' since the day I bought it and the dealer told me that was normal. Yours sounds a lot better than mine! Mine goes in for service in 2 weeks to a dealer I trust. They are going to look at the rough idle and a noise coming from the engine that appeared after my first oil change that has been diagnosed by a few different people as being different things. Stay tuned... and Ride Safe!
Sounds like you have idle hammer, very common after the first oil change. Some fixes out there if the noise bothers you but it doesn't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Mine had some low RPM surging for the 1st 5K. I then added a Danmoto exhaust and 90% went away.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Your bike sounds completely normal to me. Relax, stop picking nits, enjoy the ride.

Also, I doubt you're actually keeping the throttle steady if you have a 1000 rpm span of fluctuation. Throttles are very sensitive when the engine is unloaded.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Yes the pistons are much bigger and want to come out at the top.

After you had the bike for a while look into adding a BoosterPlug. There are a number of threads about it, this is one. It really made a big difference for my ride, far less "agricultural" after the booster plug and a clutch basket update. Almost as sweet as the 650 I had before. Its certainly a keeper now:

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I had a vstrom 650 a few years ago - I just remember it being much smoother than my new 1000!

Sent from my TB-8704V using Tapatalk
LOL, I hear ya. I went from my silky smooth 650 to a rough and loud yellow beast. All worth it when you twist the throttle 😁

Your idle sounds GREAT for a DL1000!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts