StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 DL1000A has developed a serious Idle Hammer since the first 1000km service. I have read numerous threads about this phenomenon and all sorts of theories. From the oil filter being the cause to crankshaft wobbling, motor oil additives etc. etc. Many threads have posted video clips, but none of them really sounds like mine. A deep tock-tock-tock sound when the engine is idling.

The first 5 seconds of this video clip is with a cold engine, the last 5 seconds with a warm engine. Use headset or good speakers to really hear what it is about. Please tell me if this is seriuous or if I just should ignore it.

I have rised the issue with Suzuki, and I have a preliminary answer from them. I will post the Suzuki verdict here if you really think I should persue the matter further against them. My DL1000A only has 5000km on the odo, so no reason to think it is worn. I also use Liqui Moly 10W-60 fully synthetic on this clip.

Since this is my first posting here, I'm not allowed to add the URL for the clip. But you will find it on youtube if you search for "DL1000A_IH".

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have two 2014 V2s and both of them hammer. One is really bad. I had a 2008 DL1000 and it also hammered. Suzuki won't fix it and they don't care. They say it is "normal". They could fix it but they don't want to deal with it. It's no indication that something is going to fail. Just ignore it and enjoy one of the best motorcycles ever made. I've had 49 motorcycles so far and this is my favorite. Since I decided to ignore the hammer, it doesn't even bother me anymore. It's just part of the deal. Hope you can enjoy yours as much as I do mine. By the way, this is a great forum, so, stay tuned.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
I was not intent on starting an oil discussion and mentioned no brand. I only noticed the OP was using a non-standard viscosity and was curious if he noticed the same problem with the recommended viscosity. I could care less what someone chooses to put in THEIR bike. But thanks for the warning?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
The one thing that made a major difference in the idle hammer was having the throttle bodies synced, that made a day and night difference and has not returned since having it done, when I bought the bike it didn't hammer at all and it wasn't until it had about 1K miles on it that it started to develop, after having no luck with Suzuki and them coming back and saying "Your the only one with this issue" and "they are supposed to make that noise" I decided to take it on my self to resolve, after spending some time thinking about it I realized that on the V twins with a lighter flywheel that they would be more prone to kick back at low rpm's especially if the throttle bodies are not carefully synced, I had a mechanic friend at the Suzuki dealership carefully sync the throttle bodies and it was amazing afterwards that it was back to sounding like when I bought it.

As the engine breaks in and the rings seat there can be a slight change in the sync of the carbs, as you bring them back in to sync the engine stops fighting it's self and pulls evenly through both bodies smoothing out the idle and reducing if not stopping the knock.

Regards,
Kent

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
There is a "fix" for it, but I will wait and see if that person speaks up. ;)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The person claiming to have a fix has been banned here for repeatedly advertising without paying. If anything further comes out, it may happen at VSRI, but not here. This site is a commercial enterprise.

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
The person claiming to have a fix has been banned here for repeatedly advertising without paying. If anything further comes out, it may happen at VSRI, but not here. This site is a commercial enterprise.
That isn't who I was talking about Pat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, even worse. On the 1000km service they changed to 10W-40. Then the hammering started. I changed to 20W-50, no significant change. Now, at the end of the season I changed to 10W-60 since this oil will have thicker viscosity at high temp than the 10W-40 and 20W-50. No significant improvement in the IH (the video clip is actually made right after the last oil change).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, beginners trouble here. The last posting was an answer regarding if there IH was the same with 10W-0. Bear with me ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a "fix" for it, but I will wait and see if that person speaks up. ;)
Im aware of the fix, but the UK supplier only offer this fix for pre-2012 models with an M12 bolt. The V2 uses an M14 bolt, and a similar fix is offered from a dude in Texas. I have already ordered this. Hopefully it will silence my Hammer:wink2:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Im aware of the fix, but the UK supplier only offer this fix for pre-2012 models with an M12 bolt. The V2 uses an M14 bolt, and a similar fix is offered from a dude in Texas. I have already ordered this. Hopefully it will silence my Hammer:wink2:
I contacted John (SVMAN) in the UK. Once he discovered I was in the USA, he wouldn't respond to me anymore. I would be interested in the "Dude in Texas" and see what he has to offer. Let us know what you find out. Too bad Suzuki won't just deal with it. It is not that hard to fix, at least for someone with the right equipment.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
Yes, there is a fix. For the earlier 2002-2012 DL 1000 and SV 1000 with 12mm rotor bolt and for the new 2014+ DL 1000 with the upgraded crankshaft/rotor with 14mm rotor bolt.

I have had these in test bikes for close to a year. So far, so good. I hesitate to guarantee complete noise abatement, instead simply putting it this way: It will dampen your Idle Hammer noticeably. Most don't hear it after installing the WERKS Idle Hammer Tamer, one thinks his has come back? Which could be a clearance issue ( it is an early prototype ) or simply something like clutch noise just now becoming apparent.

I have not brought these out to everyones attention. Wanted a bit of time to insure there are no problems. I will probably start machining some more tomorrow. They are available now.

WERKS Idle Hammer Tamer

Suzuki is NOT going to do anything. They have known about this for well over 10 years. It is NOT going to shorten the life of your bike. While it is a nuisance, it is nothing more than that. I developed these because owners were worried about the noise. This will comfort them!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Suzuki is NOT going to do anything. They have known about this for well over 10 years.
This is the answer from Suzuki I got from my local distributor. Wonder what they mean by 'any countries'. Many contries? Some countries?

We have already some FTIRs (Field Technical Investigation Report) for this matter from any countries.
Please refer to follows our answer for those FTIRs.

Thank you for FTIR and parts for inspection.
We have installed this part to our test unit and checked the noise level by our engineering dept.
The result of that the noise is existing and little bit louder compared with production units.
However it was still within our engineering limit and acceptable level for production.
Therefore we are not taking further action at this stage and you are kindly watch the market for further case.

Our engineering department said that this noise is acceptable level.
Could you issue the FTIR for this phenomenon?

I try to ask our engineer about countermeasure again.
If I will be able to take any comments from them, I will forward it to you.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
While there could in fact be a few bikes that were out of tolerance so far the noise.....would be addressed by Suzuki, they have yet to formulate a plan of action. Back around 2004-2005 they actually made a main bearing change in the SV 1000 trying to reduce Idle Hammer. Just as now, many owners were complaining about the noise. Facts show that it never causes engine failure. Nor is it a safety issue. So Suzuki isn't too worried about it. It is an Internationally known issue, thus the "countries" mentioned in the report.

I see some of my pictures are.....gone from my webpage. I'll fix that tomorrow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most mc riders do this out of hobby/joy, very few do it as a necessity to get from A to B. When this joy disappears because your machine is hammering, most people will search elsewhere for a bike they can enjoy. OK, this is not a reliability or safety issue, but bottom line it is a "wellbeing" issue. If Suzuki doesn't understand that I think they should take a class in Consumer Satisfaction. As it seems, many (including myself) is looking at other brands just to get rid of this annoying tock-tock sound.

The Vstrom is a very good bike. If Suzuki could manage to remove the IH I'm sure they would sell a lot more of this model. I think they struggle, where I live all Suzuki dealers dump their Vstrom inventory at the end of every season. No other bikes on sale, only the Vstrom. Wonder why...

1 - 20 of 95 Posts