StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a work around to adjust the idle speed? A quick inspection of my new Strom shows no adjustment point similar to that on my old ’03. The owners manual is no help, suggesting the bike be returned to the Dealer or repaired by a "qualified mechanic”. WTF??:headbang:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I'm sure it has the same setup as the Glee. The idle setting is computer controlled for emissions reasons. It will never need to be touched unless a sensor is changed that affects the computer input, like a TPS adjustment. Then a simple reset procedure will put it back in range. I'll also bet the need for TBS adjustments will be a thing of the past. Somebody with a service manual can probably back that up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank-you! I wasn’t aware of that set-up on the 650’s. I guess as long as it works properly, the factory computer settings will have to do!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mine seems like it idles a little too low, about 1100rpm , it's at the bottom of what the owners manual sez, 1100 - 1300rpm. Guess the computer knows best....! no adjustment....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine too! That was what concerned me! Hopefully it won’t be a problem but I sure wish I could give it a little ‘nudge’.:yesnod:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Maybe somebody with a service manual can look up the idle speed reset procedure. If nothing else, it will assure the idle speed is where it was designed to be.

It may be the same as for the 650 but it may be totally different.

This is the 650 procedure.

1) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2) Remove the seat.
3) Connect the special tool to the dealer mode coupler and turn
its switch to ON position. (a paper clip jumper on the correct terminals will also work)
4) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
5) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
6) Then, wait more than 5 seconds.
NOTE:
The ISC valve automatically is set at the PRE-SET position.
7) Turn the special tool to the OFF position and remove it from
the dealer mode coupler or remove the paper clip.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I find mine idles low as well, my wife actually told me it sounds like it's going to stall tonight.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mine idles around 1100, sounds OK I think. I am not one of those "qualified mechanics" mentioned above though. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've noticed with mine that the idle is different with the clutch in (in gear) or out (neutral).

I'd say around 200rpm difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts