StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just fitted my heated grips (non Suzuki) and at present they are hard wired to the battery (with an inline fuse).
This works, but means it is likely that at some point I'm going to forget to switch them off and come back to a flat battery!

I'm not sure if the switched feed to the tail light is good enough to feed the grips and have been told that the safest way to do this is to fit a relay.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do this!

Can anyone provide some basic instructions on how to do this?

Many thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Essentially you want a relay which is controlled by a source of switched voltage (such as the suzuki heated grip plug behind the top of the radiator). I used a horn pigtail (stock suzuki part) and wired the relay (any 30 amp automotive relay) to it. The relay lives under the seat on mine and others but probably could be anywhere it is protected. Then the (+) lead from the battery runs to the relay and from the relay on to the (+) lead to the grips. The (-) lead runs straight to the battery. Put a fuse between the battery and the relay.

There's a great site showing electrical mods and others at:

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/v-strom

You'll have to poke around to get to the electrical stuff. But he does a very nice job on mods. Also try searching on stromtrooper for rbertalotto and grips and look through some of those threads for more info.

--Kevin

·
Registered
22 Posts
In the interest of keeping things as simple as possible though;
as long as you use the stock connection point (horn connector as mentioned above, or use search) for your power, there is no need for the relay. In its simplest terms, a relay is just a switch (primarily in these case to ensure the device it is connected to gets full battery power) so since you already have a switch (?!) then any voltage loss through a few extra inches of wire will not be noticed by the grip.
Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I connected mine to the EOM grip heater wire behind the radiator and hooked the ground wires to the frame.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Uhm, thats actually a no-no. Since it is an aluminum frame, you want to make sure grounds are all run back to the battery correctly. If you hooked to the factory connector, one is hot, the other is your ground.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I've just ordered the horn wire plug and I'll hook it up there. Now to find the socket.....!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
If you remove the black side cover on the left side of the bike, u can generally get to the plug. It is a pretty small plug, wrapped with tape onto another harness. Suzuki instructions show it on the right side by the rad, but it isnt there.

Removing the black fairing underbelly will give you the room you need to run wires down to the plug from your grip control.

cheers

k5 in kanada

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice one, I'd have been looking on the right hand side!
Much appreciated... :D

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You know, now that I think of it, the black cover on the left side of the tank doesnt even have to come off.

I wondered why my suzuki instructions had me tearing off the fairing when in reality, you can do it without removal of the fairing panels.
Small hands do come in handy though.

let us know how it worked out for you.

PS: if you make the suzuki horn wire extension about 3" longer, it really really simplifies things as well.

cheers

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you want to run a relay the following will help but the easy way is to use the wire behind the radiator, it is already only hot when the key is on.

Buy a 4 pole relay from the auto parts store, you'll find them in a blister pack for under $5.00 in the driving/fog light section. Run a fused hot lead and a ground wire to the relay. Connecting the hot side from the battery to the terminal marked 30, run the ground to #86 (you can run the ground wire from the grip heaters to this same terminal). Terminal 87 will be the hot lead to the heated grips or any other item like an accessory power box. And finally connect the terminal 85 to a power source that is only on when the bikes key is on.

Connect your ground directly to the battery not to the frame. Use a gauge of wire approprate to the load being drawn, use at least the same gauge or larger for the wiring to and from the relay that is used by the grip heaters. A smaller guage is an invite to circuit problems and or melted connections or possibly a fire.

So what happens then is when you start the bike or turn on the key the hot lead at 85 energizes the relay, sending power out of 87 to the grip heaters or whatever. If you have a 5 pole relay, the terminal marked 87a will be a hot connection when the relay is not enegized and can be used to power some item you want to use when the bike is not running, like a tire pump run this terminal to a seperate output device like a cig lighter, or powerlet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i bought the factory heated grips when i bought my 05 1000. the dealership i bought it from could not find the factory plug in....one of the guys tried to tell me that the plug only comes on canadian models....is he full of crap????

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes he is, there is no Canadian model only a North American model which includes both countries.

·
Registered
441 Posts
For what it's worth, I connected my Oxford Hot Hands wraps to the stock grip connector but I found that plug on the right side of the radiator just behind the top. With the stock horn lead, it just plugs right in. Gotta love it!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmmmm. Question:

I installed my heated grips a few weeks ago to the factory connection behind the radiator and love them (just wish the snow would leave so I can ride again!). However, after installing them I thought that they would work just by turning the key on. But after 10 minutes they hadn't even gotten warm. Thought perhaps I'd wired something wrong but it was too late and I had to go home (was using my brother's garage to keep warm so's why I didn't start'er up). On the way home I was hardly down the street and felt the heat! Get's quite hot even on low! :D So, does anyone know if the factory connection only works when the engine is running? I was rather surprised and am still not sure I've ever heard of anything electrical not working until the engine started running. Could the be wired to the alternator instead of the battery???

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bhaywa1 said:
Hmmmmm. Question:

I installed my heated grips a few weeks ago to the factory connection behind the radiator and love them (just wish the snow would leave so I can ride again!). However, after installing them I thought that they would work just by turning the key on. But after 10 minutes they hadn't even gotten warm. Thought perhaps I'd wired something wrong but it was too late and I had to go home (was using my brother's garage to keep warm so's why I didn't start'er up). On the way home I was hardly down the street and felt the heat! Get's quite hot even on low! :D So, does anyone know if the factory connection only works when the engine is running? I was rather surprised and am still not sure I've ever heard of anything electrical not working until the engine started running. Could the be wired to the alternator instead of the battery???
The power comes on with the key, I have my radar detector hooked into the factory grip circuit. Don't know why you didn't any heat till you ran the engine.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok guys, sorry to be a total gimp, but I cannot for the life of me find this plug! Where is the best point of view to be, to see it. Looking down from above through the handlebars and forks, hunched down at the front wheel looking directly towards the radiator etc?

I presume the plug is white?
Will it be visible, or will I have to put my hand somewhere dark and have a bit of a grope around? :wink:
Will it be loose at the end of a wire, or will it be bound into another bunch of wires?

Help!!!!

I need to get this fitted, as last week I left the grips on overnight and came out to a flat battery!!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
It is black and is only an inch or two sticking free from a wrap of other wiring, it is behind the radiator on the left side and can usually be seen from looking up into the engine from the left side looking up into the area.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Brad, I'll go put the bike in the garage and have a lie on the floor. Typically, it's hammering down with rain... :(

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spot on! Once I'd got under the bike, and was looking up at the rear of the rad, it was blatantly obvious. Tricky sod to get to, but with a pair of long nose pliers to hold the plug tight with, I was able to plug into it easily.
The wiring is all done now, and the grips only activate when the ignition is on.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts