StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey PT and GW or anybody else listening...here goes.

I found the diagnostic connector behind the left rear panel. I crafted a nice u shaped jumper out of a paper clip (price is right) and permantly installed it for now, replaced rubber cover, and shoved connector back where it belongs so I can monitor any codes on the fly.

The paint mark on the TPS screw from the factory is still there and the TPS has not moved. BTW, on a 2007 Vee, the TPS is on the front throttle body and can be seen and reached without removing or lifting the tank. Manual shows pulling tank and airbox......wrong.

The clock is now showing (-COO) as it should for a properly adjusted TPS. Throttle blips do not change the -COO reading at idle.

My question....I know, I am getting to it...My TPS reading will not raise the - mark to the upper location until 2400 to 2500 rpm. Can I condemn my TPS now, or should I reset the TPS to trip at 1500 rpm as suggested? While I was getting these readings the bike was idling OK, a slight bit rougher than usual and at about 1200 rpm. Usually the tach is rock staedy and set at 1300 rpm.

Any other thoughts to try beforer I order the $85 part (shipping inc.)

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
suppose to adjust to around 1500 -1700rpm - mine is set to close to 1600 rpm.

cant tell u if your TPS is in need of replacement, but if u do, make sure u get the part number 13580-27G21 which replaces 13580-27G20. I think the new one suppose to be less affect by heat- a common failure cause for the original part.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate...I have the number written down.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bumping to keep it current.

Opinions wanted. I hate to piss away $85 worth of money that could be spent on whiskey.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Throttle blips do not change the -COO reading at idle.
Hold the throttle and give it a second or two to respond.

$85 worth of money that could be spent on whiskey.
Two bottles of Woodford Reserve and a jug of something cheap for those in-laws who mix whiskey and coke.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
PT..that is what I did.

At idle it reads -COO. I very slowly and evenly twist the throttle and let the tack rise slow. Very repeatedly it would move the - mark up at 2400 to 2500 rpm. Then settle back down to -C00 at idle. Nothing I tried would make it read anything but the middle mark at idle.

I guess what confuses me is this would be factory set and I would think not go out of adjustment that far to trip at 2400 rpm.

COKE!...omg, would need new relatives. Whiskey and ice...maybe a pinch of water. I live near a dozen of the best distilleries in the world. I ride by Woodford often and feel the need to stop in and salute.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The dash can be in the middle from 1100-4000rpm. It needs to be adjusted to move at the proper rpm and it can take a full second at any chosen rpm before it registers.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks GW. I bought the friggin special Torx tamper proof t25 at Harbor Frieght today. I am leaving for home now to try and readjust it and see how it does.

BTW - they had a nice click off torque wrench in 20 to 150 ft-lb range for $10.00. I never get out of there with less than 2 items.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I am confused and not sure I fixed my bike but it is running correctly for the moment.

I had no help (extra eyes or hands) so I made adjustments and looked at the results on the meter. On the floor and back to the bars got pretty old. The TPS only needs to move a fraction of an inch...hardly any movement and the change is substantial in the reading. On like the 6th try I got the meter to center at reading -C00 at idle, and as soon as I breathed on the throttle it raises the - mark up. I did this while idling at 1300 rpm.

I left the bike in dealer mode and rode it about 250 miles in 3 different outings over the weekend. It is staying very consistent with the mark centered at idle and jumping up at the slightest increase in RPM. Bike idles fine, accelerates fine and has no bad habits...YET.

A few hints, the bottom TPS torx mounting screw on the superVee can be rather easily reached with a mini ratchet from below lying on the floor. The upper torx is super easy to reach by using about 10 inches of extensions and going straight in through the side of the plastic body work...straight shot to fastener. Tank removal not required at all....stupid manual is wrong again.

I plan on putting my bike back in dealer mode periodically to check the TPS. I want to be sure the adjustment is not changing. I made a nice "u" shaped jumper out of a paper clip and put it in my tool bag for future use. For now, I am not going to order a new TPS.

Seing now how easy the TPS setting is to check, I would check it on any VEE before proceeding on to more complicated things when trouble shooting bad idle or stalling issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts