StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey neighbors,
I was wondering if any of you might have any ideas for some good day rides starting in central Iowa? I grew up riding in the Great Lakes states could find good rides all over. Here everything seems to be on the farm grid. I commute daily on my V but would like to get out occassionally on the weekend. Would like to talk my wife into a ride sometime soon bu I would like it to be a nice ride. She has never ridden with me and she has not done much riding in the past. Would like some twisties and a view of something other than corn. Any Ideas?
Thanks for any suggestions,:cool:

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Have you tried any of the Great River Road along the Mississippi?

I just passed through the northern part of Iowa on the GRR a few weeks ago, from Marquette down to Sabula, and found it to be quite nice. Lots of ups and downs, gentle curves. Dubuque seemed like a nice place, 'though I just passed through.

Cross the river into Wisconsin and head a little north and east into very nice country around the Kickapoo river. If you're up for a little adventure, check out Wisconsin's 'Rustic Roads'.

Would probably be a better overnight trip, but it is a nice change from the flat prairie cornfields.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much,
I'm not even sure my wife is going to like riding...not sure why anyone wouldn't... so I would like to find something in the pretty immediate area. Good news is this allows me to get out a little more and wander. Between that and the fact that I have a long trip comming up that I need to get my butt in shape for (been commuting mostly) I've been getting out a bit more frequently for pleasure riding. I will check out what you suggested for me and maybe us if she decides she likes it.;)
Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I live up in Mason City. I haven't ridden it yet, but there is a nice road that goes from Des Moines up to Fort Dodge. I think it is called the Dragoon Trail.

Also nice riding up by Amana Colonies (also good food).

The Loess hills have been a place I have been wanting to go over by the Missouri.

Tom

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
I have been looking at the maps as well and I will definitely check your suggestions. I will probably try to check out at least one of them this weekend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree, I've ridden the Dragoon Trail from Des Moines to Boone. It is gravel a lot of the way, but a good ride.

I road through the Loess hills on my way to the sand hills for a adv get together and they were very interesting.

Bald, I live just west of Des Moines and have a wee. I would be interested in taking a ride with you if you are interested. Send me a pm if you're want to ride sometime.

Another good place that is close would be to ride to Winterset and do the covered bridges and there are a few good state parks over that way.

John

I live up in Mason City. I haven't ridden it yet, but there is a nice road that goes from Des Moines up to Fort Dodge. I think it is called the Dragoon Trail.

Also nice riding up by Amana Colonies (also good food).

The Loess hills have been a place I have been wanting to go over by the Missouri.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts