StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the V-Strom; just bought an '06 DL1000 after spending most of my time on a Gold Wing.
All those remote dirt roads I tried feverishly to avoid on the Wing? Well, I'm looking to try them out now on the Vee.
Anyone have any ideas for back roads or routes in SE Massachusetts, Eastern Connecticut or Rhode Island?
Good news: I live on the Cape and there are some great, quant, off-season roads here.
Bad News: I live on the Cape, and getting anywhere else requires a trip across one of the bridges and, most times, a super-slab dash to good roads.
I saw some postings around the Quibben that look interesting, but I'm really anxious to try out some dirt roads.
Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
We used to ride the roads through the cranberry bogs in Plymouth and Carver when I was a kid. That was 40+ years ago and there are developments all over the place now.

What you should do is look at the New England Trail Riders web pages. I dunno if they have a forum or not. They tend to like the real gnarly stuff that would tear up a Vstrom.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Not a whole lot of dirt roads on the cape, but there is a pretty cool area NE of Wellfleet. Go explore!

pmk

·
Registered
471 Posts
I love the Cape in the off season, and I love Maine all the time, but more in the off season. I have a Goldwing that I wouldn't trade for anything but I have a blast with my Strom checking out the back roads...........come to Maine sometime and we'll ride.:thumbup:..........TD

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just noticed,,,,,,,,welcome to the fourm,,,,,,,,,,,enjoy........TD

·
Registered
898 Posts
Route 119 at Vermont border

Having passed by a parking lot, a dozen times, at a trailhead into Pisgah State Forest where there are always a bunch of parked SUVs with ATV trailers we swung in with the intent of doing a little "off roading" ouselves until we got a good look at the daunting washed out incline at the start of the trail. :yikes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not a whole lot of dirt roads on the cape, but there is a pretty cool area NE of Wellfleet. Go explore!

pmk
Very interesting! Been in this area many times, on the Gold Wing -- don't believe I've been on these roads! Will give it a shot! Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did spend a few hours on back "roads" in the Freetown-Fall River Forest. I think I got in a little over my head -- felt like I had been lifting weights for two hours by the time I got out of there. But certainly learned what the Wee could, and could not do.
Here;s a video of the adventure -- a little long, but the music is good ... :)
V Strom Adventure 0001 - YouTube

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Berkshire Trail Riders May 18,19

Big Bike Adventure and camping

successor to "Ain't dead yet ride/dual sport"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts