StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have a V-Strom, my customary passenger is worried about flying off the back with all that power under my right hand. :yikes:

I thought of this idea: couldn't you tether the passenger to the driver by means of straps attached by plastic clips going from the back of the driver's jacket to the front of the passenger's? You would want the tethers to be long enough that neither person's movement was restricted, but wouldn't it give the passenger a sense of security?

I know that top boxes and backrests are alternatives, but thoughts are welcome before I sell everything to develop my prototype and take it on Dragon's Den!

· Registered
47 Posts
I have seen a belt that you wear, it has hand hold for the passenger to hang on to. Go on the web and look for it. Ritch

· Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I only ride solo so it's really a moot point, but if I did ride 2-up there is absolutely no way whatsoever I'd have the back-seater strapped to me. If we go down the last thing in the world I want is another 4 limbs flailing around me or another hundred pounds landing on me or me landing on them. Likewise, when I lean one way or the other I don't want to have to fight someone behind me who doesn't want to lean that way. No way, no thanks.

· Administrator
15,262 Posts
You could do a tether, but a bad move by the passenger on the tether might make you loose control, crash, and die. :)

If you actually want the passenger to ride on the back of your bike and not fall off or not worry about falling of then add a topcase to the back. It can serve as a valuable backrest and you can even put stuff in it.

..Tom

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
Get a topcase, until then be gentle.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
tether the passenger to the driver by means of straps attached by plastic clips going from the back of the driver's jacket to the front of the passenger's?
Too flimsy, plus the other problems noted above. The belt and grips looks like the best way to go.

· Registered
2,389 Posts
ROTFLMAO...sorry dude. But if your passenger is worried about falling off or you are banging helmets together upshifting and downshifting.....you sir may be the issue.

Seriously....when you have a passenger, you ride for them...not you. Or they will never be comfortable.

· Registered
1,227 Posts

· Registered
12,475 Posts
ROTFLMAO...sorry dude. But if your passenger is worried about falling off or you are banging helmets together upshifting and downshifting.....you sir may be the issue.

Seriously....when you have a passenger, you ride for them...not you. Or they will never be comfortable.
I got a chuckle too
:confused:

if I were a passenger, and someone wanted to tether me to the bike, I'd turn and run, I seen too many westerns where the roped someone by the ankles and dragged him ass first thru the sage brush

I'd rather fall off the bike and be untethered, thank you

· Registered
255 Posts
Thanks... I have been looking for that back rest for a while now since we saw one on a Vee strom in Munster Texas last year while on the way to an enduro.

My Girl is a new rider and is a bit timid and wants to lean back when while riding. If it makes her feel more secure on the bike then I'm good with that.

Also, in parking lots I will sometimes bump helmets because I tend to be a little choppie with the throttle. I try to be mindful and roll the throttle closed rather that just let it snap. It's a bit combined between me and the FI. A carbed bike would be a bit smoother.

· Registered
771 Posts
It sounds like you may benefit from taking a rider course. Throttle control isn't all in the wrist. Consider using the lever in your left hand. It goes a long ways to smoothing out slow speed maneuvers.

· Registered
623 Posts

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
:green_lol:Now that you mention it...
Love handles, heck: I already gots them.

The Cruiser Version is available from Desmond's Dungeon Depot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.