StromTrooper banner

Idea for folding rear luggage rack

5K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  DougInKY 
#1 ·
Hi. For my 650 I have fitted side racks to hold my soft saddlebags straight, and thought I'd like to also be able to put various soft bags on the rear rack, different sizes for different outings. I had a mental picture of what a rear rack I would like would look like, and went looking for it. To my surprise it doesn't seem to exist. This may be because I don't know where to look, so if I describe it, I'd appreciate being put on to something like it. If it doesn't exist, maybe I'll draw it up and see if I can find someone to make it up.
Ok - this rack would be about the size of the standard rear rack. It would probably be a bolt - on addition to the rear rack. To look at it, it would look basically like a flat rack with some designs running through it - sort of a large 'A' widest at the front, and inset in to the surface of the rack. To each side, a 5 inch section would also be visible, separate from but flush with the surface of the rack.
Next, one seizes the apex of the 'A' and lifts it, to reveal that it is hinged at the front end. When it is vertical, it locks in to place solidly, and becomes an upright that can be used in a similar way to the Ventura system. Luggage can be slotted on to it either forward so it sits on the passenger seat, backward, or both. The rack can be used this way - it may be that there are two 'A's, one smaller than and inside the other, so that two sizes of upright can be raised - one the equivalent of the Ventura Sports Rack, and one the equivalent of their larger rack.
But - there's another trick up this rack's sleeve. It may be desired to put a duffle bag, bed roll or similar wide pack on the rear rack. One grabs the 5 inch sections and pulls outwards, causing them to slide out much as the handle of wheeled luggage slides out. These slide out 50% of the width of the rack to each side, creating a nice wide rack.
With the 'A' up, and a bag slotted on to that facing forwards, and a nice wide duffel strapped across the back supported by these slide - out sections, there is a lot of storage.
Then when the job's done, the side sections are slid in, the 'A' is lowered flush, and the bike looks sleek again.
Also, blokes like me with bad backs can once again mount the machine without having to climb on the footpegs.

Ok - if this description is good enough, hopefully someone will tell me where to get it. If not I'll think about making one or at least drawing the concept up.

Cheers, PJ

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok I think I get it.

Thanks to 60 people who read this idea. Unfortunately nobody replied so I now wonder whether
  • My description was too confusing
  • My desctription was clear as a bell but nobody liked the idea
  • My description was clear, some like the idea but nobody knows where to get one
I guess I'll try to draw it up. The picture in my head looks pretty good.

#5 ·
Thanks Ockerstrom. I'll hold out for my folding idea for a while but if I can't make it work that rack is a really good alternative.
PJ, you have me contemplating an idea for a "fold up" frame that could go on my existing rack.

I don't need extra width on the rack but being able to put a Gearsack type bag on the seat with a frame to secure it to would be handy.

I'm also still looking to change the way my Givi top box fits on to the rack as I don't want the original Givi mount in the way when I tie stuff on the rack for camping trips.

#6 ·
That's good, I'll be interested to hear about anything you come up with. If my rack was a nice wide one like yours I'd only be concerned with the folding upright, and that may be the way I go with it. However, I use soft panniers and when they're not on there I like the bike to remain narrow to enable my aged legs to swing over without climbing on the footpegs. That's why I favour the side bits that slide out. It may be a bit ambitious with my limited engineering skills but will see.

#7 ·
PJ - understand your explanation completely. It's a bit more complicated than most so don't know that you'll find it commercially but have at it!

I have something less complicated rolling around my head so I'll see if I can make it work. I didn't have a vertical section in my mental image. Hmmmm.

#8 ·
PJ: I have to admit I am a little confused by your description, but I am very visual and w/o a rough picture to go by I can't visualize what you are saying real well.

I thought you were just talking about to sliding plates that slide out to the side and fold down to hold softbags away from wheel and muffler. When soft saddlebags are not in use the side plates would slide right back into the top plate. If that is not it, I am thoroughly confused.

#9 · (Edited)
Subscribed... I am in the market for a good rack for the tail of my Wee. Also, to the OP, lots of cottage industry springing up because of boards like this one. If you figure out how to make it at an acceptable price, I am sure you will be able to sell them as your idea sounds like a new one for rear racks for motorcycles.

#10 ·
Hi Banks C. I understand the problem. I'm a 'word picture' kind of person, or think I am but am no doubt fooling myself - I anticipated my description wouldn't be clear.
The idea I'm on about has just two elements to it -
the part that sticks up behind the passenger seat for slotting luggage on to (like Ventura) but which folds down flat in to the surface of the rack when not required; and
the part(s) you mention on each side which slide outwards when needed. They would not then fold down to keep soft luggage off the muffler/s, they remain sticking out rigid to support a wide load like a duffel bag or swag loaded across the rack. They would hold this load up clear of side luggage. Again, when not needed they slide back in.
I think it is buildable because the parts already exist for other purposes.
The upright part is just hinged, and I can think of a number of ways to fix it upright strongly, but don't have the equipment or skills to experiment.
The side part exists in such things as the slide out handle for trolley luggage or other extendable items. Again, probably beyond me to put it together.
This rack would then deploy to handle ventura type baggage (big for travelling, small for commuting) or wide loads, while being neat and tidy when not needed. I think it would be a hit.
Thanks for your interest, anyway. I'll try to draw it when I get time - I'm not much of an artist, either. PJ

#11 ·
Seems to me that it would be much easier to have the side extension pieces hinged rather than sliding.

Make the side extensions half the width of the base rack so that when flipped outward they double the width of the rack, and set the hinge for the vertical piece above the base rack just enough so that it folds down flat onto the retracted side extensions.

#12 ·
Not a bad idea Merlin. The reason I didn't want to go down that road was that I want the rack to still be a functioning small rack in its unextended state. That's why the vertical part folds flat in to the surfact of the rack, and the side parts slide in till they're flush with the sides. Having said that it may be that depending on the materials your fold out idea may acheive something similar. I really must chase up someone who can draw so I can get this idea out there. And maybe your version as well.
PJ

#15 ·
I'm not understanding your concept, with the " upright" can you draw a pic on some scrap paper and scan it ?

I'm liking the idea of an expanding rack, merlin's idea of the trifold with the extensions haf the width of the base is what I was thinking too, but I haven't figured out in my mind, a simple way to lock the extensions

the idea I like about a hinged rack is that you could also use it as a cradle type cargo carrier, not necessarily lock the extensions at an angle, but bungee them tight too the cargo

#16 ·
Rear rack drawings

Hi, been busy and shocked to see how long I've neglected this. I undertook to do some drawings of my idea despite being no good at drawing. I hope this gives the idea. Still interested in comments.

Attachments

#19 ·
Almost looks like a spring loaded clamp style rack I had on my bicycle in Europe, only your brawing has side extensions. Do you have a weight limit in mind?? How about a twist surface ??
Ex: Lift arm, then turn plate for extra width. ( Did I explain that right?)

#20 ·
I too had a spring loaded bike rack (bicycle) somewhat like that here in the USA on an old Schwinn Calente I used to have. It too only had one extension, no side extensions. Mine was spring loaded and the extension didn't allow for more surface area to mount but came down on what ever you had on back to help secure it. Worked pretty good although I am quite sure it wouldn't hold up as a motorcycle application as it was too light.

It looks from your drawings as if it might work although I would be worried about getting enough strength to allow the kind of loads that most put on a rear rack.

#21 ·
Responding to both andreas and DougInKY, thanks for the comments. I know the bicycle rack you mean, had one myself. In my idea the upright would be fixed there to slip bags with a sleeve on them (Ventura style) over. The side extensions would operate similarly to the handle that slides out from the top of rolling luggage.
If it existed it could be used for several types of load - Ventura style bags, wide loads (tent or duffle bag) but be folded no bigger than a standard rack the rest of the time.
I don't have any idea about strength, my original post was mainly to find out if such a thing existed so I could buy one. It seems not. I imagine there must be people out there who know about tensile strength of materials etc, but as I can only offer to buy one, there would have to be huge interest to make it worth their while.
andreas, your idea for the flat part of the rack to pop up and swing sideways to become wide is a good one too, and maybe stronger than my 'suitcase handles'.
Anyway, cheers and thanks again for the comments.

#22 ·
andreas, your idea for the flat part of the rack to pop up and swing sideways to become wide is a good one too, and maybe stronger than my 'suitcase handles'.
Anyway, cheers and thanks again for the comments.
Seems like the whole set-up would be a tad thicker than a regular Base Plate, especially with a spring loaded arm, a plate that swivels, a plate as a base.
But the main question, is it better than having a regular Top Case??? I re-read your first post, duffel bags are usually swung over the pillion, this acts as a backrest for some.

#23 ·
You can call it the Transformer rack, because that's what I envision from your description.:biggrinjester:

Seriously, the best way is to go the hardware store, get some material, and start working on it. Trial and error is what it will take. But you'll have fun in the process. Possibly your first version will work, but then you'll see something you can improve on.

#24 ·
Yes, I can see that my next step if I stay interested is to build a prototype - I will be retiring from work next month so will finally get some time.
andreas, the reason I haven't gone for the top box solution is that I have restricted movement in swinging my leg over the bike, such that I can only just get my leg over on mounting the bike. My leg passes over the rear rack in so doing. So - when anything large is on the rear rack I have to mount by climbing on the footpeg to get high enough - I just don't like doing that all the time.
So this rack was to carry a load when needed, but fold up to a flat rack for commuting.
My restricted leg swing may be just my problem, which would explain why nobody has developed such a thing before - most people don't need it .
Thanks for the comments.

#25 ·
I can't do the swing over mount any more due to arthritis. I use a step over mount and dismount. Using this method a side effect is that I no longer have to worry about luggage or even a top box (which I removed due to the way the bike handles with it on). Just a thought for something you might want to try...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.