Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a long ways away but the IDBDR is a LONG BDR,about 1,200 miles.I plan on it taking about 2 weeks so I thought I would start this thread now so anybody wanting to go would have plenty of time to plan.I'm thinking of doing it between mid June and Mid August 2017 ..
Anybody interested ???.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am interested for sure. I bought the maps for Idaho and Washington already and plan on buying the DVD.
Some of that area I've been in before since I lived there - and can't wait to go back. I have most of the stuff I need already, just wasn't sure about doing the whole route alone. I live north of you in Lynden.

~ Keith~

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am interested for sure. I bought the maps for Idaho and Washington already and plan on buying the DVD.

Some of that area I've been in before since I lived there - and can't wait to go back. I have most of the stuff I need already, just wasn't sure about doing the whole route alone. I live north of you in Lynden.

~ Keith~

My wife is planning on meeting up with me/us 3-4 times during this ride with our RV.That way I have a comfy bed ever 3-4 days and she can haul extra supplies.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I may be able to make it. I have limited off road experience but doing it with other Strom riders give some comfort. Do you have patience with newbies?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The IDBDR is said to be the easiest but the longest.Everybody that's going has varying levels of skill so you would be fine !!.
2 years ago we did the WABDR which is a bit more difficult but 1/2 as long.We had 1 newbie and old guy that was over 100lbs over weight and had a hard time getting on his bike by himself.Both quit before the end of the first full day of off-road.The old guy got really hurt after his 10th get off and the newbie came with him ( both rode up from Texas ) so he left with him.There will also be a lot of different kinds of bikes so you will fit right in.
Also tires make a HUGE difference!!.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just joined the FB group, so I'll keep an eye on this. I presume for Idaho my Anakee III will be fine, but what did you use for Washington?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran a rear K60 that I put back on with 12,000 miles on it and a front TKC.
We will be discussing all aspects of riding a BDR on the FB group.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just joined the FB group, so I'll keep an eye on this. I presume for Idaho my Anakee III will be fine, but what did you use for Washington?

It's 1.5 years away,your Anakee 111 will be wore out by then right ??.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yep, should be worn out. I've already had my eye on a couple of replacement options though, more dirt oriented for the BDR's

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, should be worn out. I've already had my eye on a couple of replacement options though, more dirt oriented for the BDR's

The best option would be TKC's or big blocks or maybe the new 805/804.
The 705's work ok and last longer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just clicked the Join on the FB group.
This something that I dream of doing but have yet to make a commitment to.
Feels like it would cost too much and that I should be on a DRZ.
My experience to date is < 50 miles on gravel roads, unladened.
But I'll enjoy seeing how this is done.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just clicked the Join on the FB group.

This something that I dream of doing but have yet to make a commitment to.

Feels like it would cost too much and that I should be on a DRZ.

My experience to date is < 50 miles on gravel roads, unladened.

But I'll enjoy seeing how this is done.

There will be people on fully loaded Super Teneres ( 600+ lbs)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did the WABDR with a TKC front ( got 10,000 miles out of it ) and a K60 rear ( got almost 14,000 miles out of it ).
That FOR ME is the perfect ADV combo.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ran a TKC80,now it wasn't on a Vstrom but I got similar mileage on one on a Vstrom.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hmmm, this thread is over a year old. I contemplated contacting the thread starter LoneStrom, but it appears he hasn't been on this forum since June of 2016.
Is there still anyone going later this summer (2017)?

I'm in Boise and would like to do parts of the IDBDR, including magruder corridor and Lolo motorway. Because of other commitments i'm looking at after Labor Day. Due to limited time i may run to Elk City from Boise on day 1, do magruder corridor West to East day 2, then run up on the road to Lolo and do the motorway East to West day 3/4, then return to Boise on the road (Grangeville, Riggins, McCall, Boise). Maybe that loop in 4 days.

2014 Vstrom 650, soft luggage, K60 scout on back and TKC 80 on front. InReach PLB, etc.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
LoneStrom is BigFatAl on ADV. He's got a thread in the PNWet section; his group is leaving in about 2 weeks I think. The group I'm taking is leaving the middle of August.

I did the Magruder on my V-Strom several years ago with Shinko 705s, no problem whatsoever. That is the extent of the IDBDR I've done on the strom. From what I can tell from the rest, you should be fine with that tire combo. For this trip I'm taking my DRz, so I'll likely be moving a little faster than before..... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts