StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time finding a kit to do the job... I was hoping that someone on here would have a link to help me out... and I plan on doing the work myself so any tips or tricks that you would like to share would be greatly appreciated... thank you
Howie

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts

Try here...owner is a Stromtrooper.com member and responsive to inquiries.

Reactions: Evh300 and Gert

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Don't forget: If you lower the rear of the bike, you'll need to lower the front (pulling the forks up in the triple trees is the most common method). If you don't, your steering will be affected. It will become 'slower', because you're changing the steering geometry.

Reactions: Evh300

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
What the others said.

But remember there is a limit to how low you can go before the tire starts to rub on or through the fender. I think it's about a tad over an inch. I believe Adventure Tech dog bone sizes stop at the maximum recommended lower.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't forget: If you lower the rear of the bike, you'll need to lower the front (pulling the forks up in the triple trees is the most common method). If you don't, your steering will be affected. It will become 'slower', because you're changing the steering geometry.
[/QUOTE
I'm going to look into that next. .. I got the bike about a year and a half ago... spent a good month on it and then I hurt my back at work... problem is the bike is top heavy and I can't flat foot it... this wasn't a problem before I hurt my back... but since I can't hold it up when I come to a stop...if the bike starts to fall I drop it... it's happened 3 times..got a little dent on the muffler and broke the brake handle in half... scratched the crash bar a little.... I'm hoping by lowering it I'll have more leverage... and will be able to keep it up... My fiance is dead set against me riding it... and wants me to get rid of it... I really don't want to lose the bike ... thank you for the information I appreciate it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What the others said.

But remember there is a limit to how low you can go before the tire starts to rub on or through the fender. I think it's about a tad over an inch. I believe Adventure Tech dog bone sizes stop at the maximum recommended lower.

View attachment 283142
It said 1 and a 1/8... That's the kit I got... I'm 5/10 and the way it is now I'm on my toes.... thank you

·
Registered
367 Posts
To the OP. I have an '08 650 and it was lowered 2" when I got it. Honestly the ride and handling was fine but the rear tire would rub the inner fender on bumps and wore a hole in the inner fender.after installing a new tire.

I bought the set from AdventureTech that lowers the maximum amount without rubbing and all is good. I'm now either on the balls of both feet or one foot flat and one on the peg. 5'5" with about 29" inseam.

Hope this helps. I also recommend getting AdventureTech footpeg lowering kit - it helps relax the knee while riding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Put a couple of boards next to your bike on both sides and put your feet down---a 1x piece of pine is 3/4 " thick---from that you can calculate what feels stable to you--I lowered mine 3/4" and while I am not quite flat footing it I am way more comfortable at a stop---left the forks as is and it feels and handles fine and sidestand works ok with no mods. you might also pull off the seat cover and carve the foam down a bit to make shorter and a scoche narrower---electric carving knife works and then just staple it back with electric or pneumatic stapler..easy mods.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate all the help... I got the kit that was recommended on here from Adventuretech.. I went with the 1 1/8 ... I might have a mechanic install it... not sure yet... he is coming to look at it...if anyone has a youtube video or a diagram on how to raise the front... that would be helpful also... that's what I got out of this...if I lower the back I have to raise the front...(don't understand how this works)...at the triple clamp... I do not have abs so I'm hoping it is an easy job... Once again thank you for all your advice... I appreciate it and I think it's great to have a community that really looks out for each other...

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I appreciate all the help... I got the kit that was recommended on here from Adventuretech.. I went with the 1 1/8 ... I might have a mechanic install it... not sure yet... he is coming to look at it...if anyone has a youtube video or a diagram on how to raise the front... that would be helpful also... that's what I got out of this...if I lower the back I have to raise the front...(don't understand how this works)...at the triple clamp... I do not have abs so I'm hoping it is an easy job... Once again thank you for all your advice... I appreciate it and I think it's great to have a community that really looks out for each other...
You raise the forks in the triple trees that effectively 'lowers' the front of the bike. :cool:

Reactions: Evh300

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
The shock should only be used to set the sag not the height.

Setting the sag so the shock works in the best part of the stroke will make the bike more comfortable and safer to ride.

If you use the shock to set the height you could be doing the exact opposite.

Have you removed the rubber blocks from the seat ?

Many find this helpful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The shock should only be used to set the sag not the height.

Setting the sag so the shock works in the best part of the stroke will make the bike more comfortable and safer to ride.

If you use the shock to set the height you could be doing the exact opposite.

Have you removed the rubber blocks from the seat ?

Many find this helpful.
Quite honestly...I am waiting for my mechanic to do the work...it's been awhile...I don't think I can remove the rubber blocks they are riveted in...I didn't want to ruin the seat...

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
From what I have seen with some lubricant they should pop out and are easy to put back in at a later date if required.

It sound like you have never set the sag on your bike ?

This is a very important part of a single shock bike and should be done for a safer & better performing ride.

Check out YouTube.

You could try just dropping the front first you may get enough to make things comfortable, the steering will quicken a little but I found that a good thing not a bad one. (I dropped the front and also lifted the rear 25mm)

If you drop the entire bike you may then also need to shorten your stands.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the front, can just do rear lowering linkage without issue up to 1 -1/8". Easy to do if you have centerstand.
May need kickstand shortened or an adjustable one. I do not recommend the Soupy's stand however.

Also would only recommend removing the rubber blocks from seat if absolutely necessary. It squats the rider on the bike making the reach to footpegs too close and raises the bars in relation. I tried it and did not like the seated position at all.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
If you only do rear and not the front you will slow up the steering, the Wee is a slow turning bike anyway, in the dirt and the wet you could find the front wheel starting to plough instead of turning, that is what can happen if you get your sag wrong too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts