StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that while riding to work this morning, like I do often, on my inexpensive - mediocre - imperfect - top heavy - zero bling - dual sport wannabe V-Strom...

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.
:thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Keep your expectations low enough and you'll never be disappointed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
that while riding to work this morning, like I do often, on my inexpensive - mediocre - imperfect - top heavy - zero bling - dual sport wannabe V-Strom...

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.
:thumbup:
Another happy ex-KLR owner....

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Ohhhhh, yaaaaahhhhh! I'm right there with ya!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree.

Also, while riding home a couple days ago I took the long way through the country. The road I was going to ride on was closed so I took an unknown road that went the right direction. When it changed to gravel I was glad I was riding my dual sport wannabe. The road ended up right where I wanted to go. It's nice to have a bike that handles the imperfect roads in this area nicely.

It may not be the best bike (I'm not sure what's better for me though) but I sure do have a lot of fun on it.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Well said.

I'll offer a counterpoint though:
I never ride my 1985 BMW k100rs anymore; it's completely redundant with my wee (and even though it makes a whopping 25 more hp, it's just as slow).

My wife recently started riding and since she rides the wee, I'm spending some quality time with the beemer. What you just said pretty much sums up how I feel about it. We sure have come a long way in the last 26 years...

The only possible conclusion is that it doesn't matter what you ride; every bike is enjoyable.
I wish I could say the same about every cage, but I find that only Porsches and Volkswagens talk to me... (definite proof that motorcycles are superior)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a big cruiser and this spring added the Wee, and never in a million years thought the Wee would jump out to be the favored ride. Ol' Blue is still an awesome ride and the only way I'll go 2 up, or for looooong Interstate stretches. The Rock Lobster is just easier, quicker, flickerer, don't care what the road turns into, makes me wanna push the envelope fun.

And it's getting cool in the mornings again...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Keep your expectations low enough and you'll never be disappointed.
This makes it sound like a bad thing.

For the $$, my wee continues to not just impress, but blow me away. I occasionally feel like I got away with something I wasn't supposed to; this much fun from that much outlay. Having a helluva time commuting on mine too.

·
Registered
969 Posts

For the $$, my wee continues to not just impress, but blow me away. I occasionally feel like I got away with something I wasn't supposed to; this much fun from that much outlay. Having a helluva time commuting on mine too.
I second that. Have you ever had something that works very very well but years later, when it was time to replace it was no longer available? It makes you think "crap, I should have bought two or three of them" when I had the chance. That's kind of how I feel about the Wee, almost makes me want to buy another one or two just in case they all of a sudden disappear from the face of the earth.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

Actually, I was just pointing out what the OP wrote:

"inexpensive - mediocre - imperfect - top heavy - zero bling - dual sport wannabe"

V-Strom reviews, no matter how glowingly positive, seem to always have the caveat that you included in your critique.

I was really just being a little satirical because if you keep the cost low enough, you'd be delighted for the motor to merely crank in the morning.
I think many people here might claim the DL has been their most favorite-est bike ever, regardless of cost relative to other stablemates.

I'm curious how many grizzled, long-term multi-bike owners feel that way?

Well, last night it happened again, I was riding home on my "little bike that could" and had to fight the urge to follow the moon over the horizon. Given the conditions and my frame of mind, it probably would've happened on my wife's Harley as well, which by the way, I feel is half the bike for twice the money.

·
Registered
490 Posts
For thrills, my Seca 750 was my favourite bike, but I also remember turning around when the pavement ended and I love that I don't have to do that with the V Strom. This bike won't be my last, but it certainly fills the bill for almost any type of riding right now.

·
Registered
722 Posts
V-Strom reviews, no matter how glowingly positive, seem to always have the caveat that you included in your critique.
Yeah, I tend to couch my statements that way. Probably a defensive thing.

Truth is I haven't had the opportunity, nor do I have the budget to ride the more expensive competition. So even if I thought the wee were the best machine period, I simply lack the experience to back it up.

Being that it is probably the cheapest adventure type on the market, next to maybe the Versys (which I do feel is inferior), gives me an easy out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I feel that way about my recently departed Vee. If I'd been able to get a new replacement for her I would have jumped.

Don't get me wrong, I love my C 14 (Angel) but there is just something about a Strom. If money were no object I think I'd have Angel and a Vee as a complement.

Having said that the C 14 is a cruise missile that does amazingly well through curves. Once moving her weight goes somewhere and she can dance. She is not nearly as top heavy as my Vee and I find I can maneuver her from a standstill easier.

Who cares--let's go ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts