StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With just over 1500 miles on my 2012 650adv and loving it, I thought it was time to start adding a few new items.

Added Richland Rick's fork brace -wow what a difference. Much more solid and handles great.

Added Rick's mirror extenders - opened up a whole new view, particularly over my right shoulder. Even the buffeting was much improved.

Lowered the foot pegs using Rick's lowering kit and what a difference the increased blood flow makes in my 53 year old legs.

I was on a roll until......I added the factory knuckle guards. The new vibration in my hands was only bearable for about 30 minutes before I had to stop. Unless Rick makes knuckle guards, these things are coming off. Anyone else experience this and if so, were you able to solve?

Thanks in advance for your help,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buzzing like a bee

Hey MMM, I believe they are the same guards that come standard on the Vee. Like you, I haven't heard of any issues with them previously. Not too much to screw-up on the install but I did confirm they are installed correctly.

·
Adventure Traveler
285 Posts
I installed Barkbusters "Storm" handguards on my Glee. No discernable vibrations to me. Great quality, got mine from Twisted Throttle. Have them on my Versys too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I feel your pain

I added the factory hand guards to my wife's Adventure this weekend and after a short ride she asked me to remove them as she can't take the new vibration. When installing the hand guards you remove the primary and largest rubber isolator to make room for the steel hand guard spacer/attachment collar which must reduce the effectiveness of the bar end weights. :headbang:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the Suzuki handguards, the same ones that are on the adventure model. I had the shop install them and there is '0' vibration. There must be something wrong with your install otherwise they would ALL be vibrating. I love mine and wouldnt be without them!

·
Registered
25 Posts
put mine on myself, following the somewhat confusing factory instructions...no vibes

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
When installing the hand guards, you don't use the steel spacer. Only the rubber stub is used. The replacement screw is shorter than the original one for a reason.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try it again

The instructions are pretty poor but despite this I believe I did install correctly, including using the shorter screw. I will remove and reinstall and hope for a better result.

Thanks for the input and I will advise how things turn out.

T.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spacer vs. Washer

After taking the dampner back out, I found that I had used the steel spacer, (about 3/16" thick), instead of the flat washer. Not sure if there is much difference but will test it out tomorrow.

Thanks,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1oz Makes a difference

Ok, so i took a ride tonight after swapping out the metal spacer for the flat washer. No vibration. Who would have thought that 1oz would make such a noticeable difference - but it does.

So the lesson is, follow the instructions to the letter, (or the diagram in this case).

Thanks,

·
38,048 Posts
I don't think it was the weight, but the spacer hitting the inside of the bar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The issue is that the factory directions are pretty weak. I had to reinstall the left hand one twice but in the end there was no vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
287 Posts
When installing the hand guards, you don't use the steel spacer. Only the rubber stub is used. The replacement screw is shorter than the original one for a reason.
I just installed a set of Barkbusters on my 2012 Wee. When I took off the stock bar ends, I found a rubber plug sitting just flush inside the end of the handlebar. Is that what you refer to as the rubber stub? It was very snug but at least as far as I could tell by the "instructions" (diagram), it was in the way and had to come out. Is that correct, or should the rubber plug have been pushed deeper into the bars? I haven't ridden it yet since the installation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just installed a set of Barkbusters on my 2012 Wee. When I took off the stock bar ends, I found a rubber plug sitting just flush inside the end of the handlebar. Is that what you refer to as the rubber stub? It was very snug but at least as far as I could tell by the "instructions" (diagram), it was in the way and had to come out. Is that correct, or should the rubber plug have been pushed deeper into the bars? I haven't ridden it yet since the installation.
I removed all of the original fittings including the rubber bungs, I just followed instructions and found that I needed the longer screws. Put the whole lot together outside of the bars with no pressure on the expandable bits and then inserted them into the bars and applied pressure to lock the bits inside the the bars and tightened them up.

As the instructions say put it all together loosely and when its aligned tighten up everything.

It is not not micro surgery and can be macgivered easily.

Maurice

·
38,048 Posts
Here's the stock setup. #7 is the rubber bung that expands as the screw pulls the #8 nut into it.

This is the 2012 knuckle cover set. A shorter screw and a spacer with a step down machined into the end to accept the c end in the guard are included. The screws go through the spacers, the included washers and into parts #7 an #8. Parts #4, #5 and possibly #6 above are no longer used. Check the instructions re #6. This is different from the knuckle covers for previous years. Those came with a longer screw and Parts #4, #5 and #6 were retained.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Assembly Photo

The assembly on the right in the attached photo is the correct way to install the OEM knuckle guards. I initially installed using the thicker spacer instead of the flat washer, as show on the left. This resulted in a pretty noticeable vibration. Took another look at the instructions and changed to the flat washer and the vibration went away. GW thinks the vibration may have been from the nut on the end hitting the inside of the bar. Either way, the vibration is gone so all is good. Only use the parts shown as no others are needed. Remember that you should use the shorter screw provided with the kit.

T.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
OK sorry, for some reason I missed that you were talking about OEM handguards. A little bit different installation then. Although I did find out how to incorrectly assemble the Barkbusters, to turn the throttle into an involuntary cruise control! :confused: (Another spacer issue. Got it fixed now!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts