StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but it looks like the big-assed bolt that holds them on is the same big-assed bolt that holds the ENGINE in the bike! Is this true? Can I remove this WITHOUT the engine falling out? How DO I keep the engine from falling out?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
You can take the bolt out with no problems as the adjuster collar around the bolt holds the engine but you can't ride with it out. The bolt that comes with the guard is well longer than the stocker. I'f you really are swapping, include the long bolt with the guard and get the stock bolt from the swapped unit.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Greywolf is correct.

Also, that bolt isn't the only bolt that is holding the motor to the frame of the bike. There will be no problems in doing what you want to do.

Here is something for you to think about: Crashbars don't come as standard OEM equipment. Crashbars are aftermarket items that are installed by an individual. For those crashbars to be installed on your bike, that bolt had to be removed to do it, and another, longer bolt installed with the new crashbars.

That work was done by a human.

You are a human.

Seems to make sense to me that you can do what they did. You can remove the bolt with no problems at all.

I made my own set of crashbars. The fitment process necessitated having the same bolt removed, so that I could, fit and refit, and fit again, my custom crashbars.

B.L.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greywolf is correct.

Also, that bolt isn't the only bolt that is holding the motor to the frame of the bike. There will be no problems in doing what you want to do.

Here is something for you to think about: Crashbars don't come as standard OEM equipment. Crashbars are aftermarket items that are installed by an individual. For those crashbars to be installed on your bike, that bolt had to be removed to do it, and another, longer bolt installed with the new crashbars.

That work was done (possibly) by a mechanic.

You are NOT a mechanic.

Seems to make sense to me that you can do what they did. You can remove the bolt with no problems at all.

I made my own set of crashbars. The fitment process necessitated having the same bolt removed, so that I could, fit and refit, and fit again, my custom crashbars.

B.L.
Amended.

Thanks guys. With the way things are going in my garage the last couple of weeks, the last thing that I wanted was to slide that bad-boy out and accidentally drop my whole engine onto the floor!

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
I wondered the same thing when I put the Motech guards on. No sweat!
I'd say come pick the stock bolt if you were a little closer. I don't think I'll take off the crash bars after they saved the bike in a get off!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Amended.

Thanks guys. With the way things are going in my garage the last couple of weeks, the last thing that I wanted was to slide that bad-boy out and accidentally drop my whole engine onto the floor!
noreaster, I did not write what I wrote to insult you. I wrote what I wrote to give you a different perspective.

I will explain.

I bought my DL-650, March 31, 2007. I have now owned it 5 years and have ridden it 100,000 miles.

For four summers, my motorcycle has been my ONLY source of transportation. During that time, (from Mid-May to late October), my minivan "belonged" to my daughters so that they could use it for commuting to their summer jobs.

That meant, EVERY day I was on my bike, riding it. If any work needed to be done, I had to do it in the evenings, or on weekends.

I have never worked on a motorcycle before. That was scary enough for me. But, adding to that pressure was, I HAD to work on it, and it HAD to be done!

So, as I tackled jobs like: installing new sprockets, new chain, changing the oil and oil filter, changing the air filter, adjusting the valves, installing a new rear shock, installing emulators, new front springs and new fork oil, installing a new clutch push rod seal, rebuilding the water pump, rebuilding the fuel pump........ I was SCARED TO DEATH!

I STILL AM at times!!!

I am not a mechanic either. I totally fake it.

It sounds weird and funny, but at times, when I was totally overwhelmed, and scared about what I was doing, I got through some of that stress by literally saying to myself, "Human beings built this bike. I am a human too. What do they know that I can't learn. We are the same. I can do it too."

I am dead serious about the above paragraph.

I am also serious about this too. Largely, your motorcycle is held together by bolts. Some have nuts on one end, and some don't. (I sometimes ruefully smile at the fact that when I am loosening, or tightening a bolt that has a nut on the threaded end, there is also a "nut" on the other end too......)

Some of the bolts look different then what we are used to looking at; hex head bolts, and carriage bolts. But, they are bolts none the less; they tighten and loosen the same way. Sometimes, you need to use a torque wrench, most times, you don't.

If you want to work on my motorcycle, take LOTS of photographs of each step. My Photobucket account has over 5,000 photos uploaded to it. 90% of them are motorcycle maintenance / repair / and modification related.

The information will eventually come out here: Black Lab Adventures; in a more organized fashion than what is capable of here on this forum.

This summer is the first summer that there will be an automobile, AND a motorcycle parked in my driveway. I hope I don't get spoiled!

Hope this helps.

Barry

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
Why wouldn't you? Take off my crash bars?

Because a shot of spray can black fixed the rash the bars sustained when I crashed. I'll leave the bars on to protect the bike the next time I ride poorly!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Why wouldn't you? Take off my crash bars?

Because a shot of spray can black fixed the rash the bars sustained when I crashed. I'll leave the bars on to protect the bike the next time I ride poorly!
Okay, I understand now.

I was reading your statement in the context of the thread; "Is it okay to remove the bolt?"

It sounded like you meant that, you wouldn't remove the bolt after a laydown; as if there would be a problem.

And yes, you are right. Some spray paint and you are off and running again!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Barry,

No offense was taken at all! I'm just not terribly mechanically inclined at the monument. I am much better these days about slowing down and taking the time to do the job (as opposed o fitting the job into the time allotted) but that one, Big, BOLT just running right throughout he middle of EVERYTHING!

Scary

I have to order a new set since the last set got bent when the bike tipped over. Can they be UN-bent? That might be cool to do.....

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I have to order a new set since the last set got bent when the bike tipped over. Can they be UN-bent? That might be cool to do.....
Well.........did a human bend it?

It would seem to make sense that a human can unbend it!

:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well.........did a human bend it?

It would seem to make sense that a human can unbend it!

:biggrinjester:
HA! Gotcha on this one! Pavement and a 700 pound motorcycle bent it!

I suppose the shape can be altered to increase the angle of the fold BUT can it be done accurately and uniformly and when done, will the structure be able to absorb the impact of another tip-over or will it be FUBAR in the inside: the molecular level?

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
I'd stick in the vice and hammer, pry bar away! Mine is tweaked a bit but not enough to care. Just don't pry against the plastic pieces!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Assuming it does not have a crease in in it just bent in some, it should bend out just fine. They are made of mild steel tubing and should not be weakened by the minimal amount of bending required to return them near original shape. There is a thread here somewhere that shows someone (Barry?) rebending them by laying the bike down (bent side up) and suspending the bars from the rafters of the garage, then adding "persuasion" i.e. jumping on the bike to bend them out - the reverse force of the the crash.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
There is a thread here somewhere that shows someone (Barry?) rebending them by laying the bike down (bent side up) and suspending the bars from the rafters of the garage, then adding "persuasion" i.e. jumping on the bike to bend them out - the reverse force of the the crash.
Yup, that was me.

I hooked a come-a-long to a ceiling rafter, hoisted the bike up in the air a little bit, then climbed up on the bike..........and jumped up and down! Worked like a charm!

I have also used a long "pinch bar", that I attached to my subframe, with C-Clamps, and reefed on that pretty good to straighten the subframe out. Different incident then the former, come-a-long thing.

It's a great bike!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts