StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy some oxford heated grips but don't want to lose the ability to have my grip puppies on as I like the larger grips. I know the heated grips doesn't transmit heat through the puppies very well so they will have to go. What does everyone else do in this situation?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on that too. I am buying the fly ignitor gloves but want the heated grips so I don't run the batteries down so fast in the gloves. What's the difference in the oxford adventure and touring grips other than grip pattern? Anyone know?

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I have the sport and touring grips. The sport are hard and have sharp nubblies all over. The tour are softer and a non-nubby pattern. I don't really notice the difference one way or the other unless I pay attention to it.

·
Super Moderator
16,873 Posts
I had always heard it didn't come through as well. Good to know.
Takes a bit longer, but once the puppies are warmed up they stay warm for a good while even when you shut off the grips. :yesnod:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome....l am probably just going to order the tourings since there is no difference really.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Super Moderator
16,873 Posts
Oxfords are fine, but Symtecs get hotter and I like the option of using whatever grips I like with them. Install a heat troller and have full adjustable range for heat control.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Awesome....l am probably just going to order the tourings since there is no difference really.
Thanks for the replies.
I have the oxford touring grips. They are noticeably larger in diameter than the stock grips. I cannot speak for the sport grips.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I have the oxford touring grips. They are noticeably larger in diameter than the stock grips. I cannot speak for the sport grips.
Maybe, but I did put some grip-puppy-type things from BB over mine with no problem last summer. Didn't like 'em, so removed without problem. Hence, no comment on any effect on heating.

Oh, wait. That was on the Wee. The grip puppy things are still on my Helix. That's why I couldn't remember the sport grip pattern well. No problem heating.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
And since they are larger, I don't think you will need puppies. It works for me the way they are.
^^^ a good point. Grips first, then decide on sleeves.

PS: make sure you run them off of a switched power source. Mine were supposed to turn off when they detected a voltage drop. They do,...when the voltage drops to zero.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oxfords are fine, but Symtecs get hotter and I like the option of using whatever grips I like with them. Install a heat troller and have full adjustable range for heat control.
Do the symtecs go inside of the bars? I figured they wouldn't work as well if so ; I may be wrong but a cold bar doesn't heat as easy as just grips.

·
Super Moderator
16,873 Posts
Do the symtecs go inside of the bars? I figured they wouldn't work as well if so ; I may be wrong but a cold bar doesn't heat as easy as just grips.

No I do their wraps, they have dual elements for low and high and they get HOT HOT HOT. :yikes:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
PS: make sure you run them off of a switched power source. Mine were supposed to turn off when they detected a voltage drop. They do,...when the voltage drops to zero.
I got a set of the Oxford Heaterz sport model grips when I bought my new bike and installed them recently. The controller says that it is version 8. Anyway, the battery-saving feature appears to function perfectly - two minutes after shutting off the bike the light starts to blink indicating it has gone into battery saving mode (and shut off the grips), and 3 minutes after that it turns off completely.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just put a set of Symtec's on my 650 and love them. They are the kind that go on the outside of the bar but under the grips. The set I ordered from amazon came with a piece of heat shrink tubing to put on the clutch side under the heater, so that it isn't trying to heat the bar. I still notice that the right hand warms up faster, just because the grip is thinner, but after a little while they seem to even out nicely. I have used it in mid thirties with a pair of cheap insulated gloves from the big box store and my hands were nice and toasty. Thankfully I haven't had a chance to use it in the low thirties yet but the time is coming soon and I think they will do just fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts