StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow Stromtroopers.

I was just wondering if any of you know a nice fire trail, or easy off road trail no more than an hour away from Sydney CBD?

Something I can ride nice and easy with my wee? and ends up in a loop (don't want to get lost)

and also.... Who is coming with me?! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Got some dirt roads with odd trails off them out here on the Windsor side of the mountains.

You can put together around 200km of mixed twisties-tar/dirt/trails without too much trouble.

I did a fair bit of it again on Sunday [I'm still having fun exploring the bits off the main loop I've been doing on and off for the last few weeks].

What day are you thinking of?

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Recent reports suggest the Bilpin to Mount Irvine section in a no go, not sure about the leg up to Mount Wilson from Mount Irvine.

Wiseman's Ferry- Webbs Creek- Wheelbarrow Ridge Track- Colo Heights- Upper Colo- Mountain Lagoon- or Comleroy Road, are all good to do.

CHINO,
Saturday or Sunday may be an option but I will most likely be on the KLR [the chain on the Wee is really starting to sound noisy, I'm hoping to get to it Friday, along with the wheel bearings- as long as I don't get called in to work :fineprint:].

Google some of the places I've listed and you will see the area we are talking about, Google doesn't seem to let you plot routes via dirt at times though. :headbang:

I have a mate with a KLR who may be prepared to do a recce of the Bilpin-Mt Irvine-Mt Wilson road with me sometime before tackling it with a Strom [I have heard the Bilpin leg is pretty bad, even 4WD's balk at it, so I won't try it solo].

·
Registered
811 Posts
Recent reports suggest the Bilpin to Mount Irvine section in a no go, not sure about the leg up to Mount Wilson from Mount Irvine.
I have ridden it, but that was probably 6 months ago

this pic was taken last week Ock, by some guys I ride with occasionally, so its doable

Attachments

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I have ridden it, but that was probably 6 months ago

this pic was taken last week Ock, by some guys I ride with occasionally, so its doable
I think I've seen that wall from a different angle Muddy.

Time to go exploring the road soon then. :hurray:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks!

Wiseman's Ferry- Webbs Creek- Wheelbarrow Ridge Track- Colo Heights- Upper Colo- Mountain Lagoon- or Comleroy Road, are all good to do.

CHINO,
Saturday or Sunday may be an option but I will most likely be on the KLR [the chain on the Wee is really starting to sound noisy, I'm hoping to get to it Friday, along with the wheel bearings- as long as I don't get called in to work :fineprint:].

Google some of the places I've listed and you will see the area we are talking about, Google doesn't seem to let you plot routes via dirt at times though. :headbang:

I have a mate with a KLR who may be prepared to do a recce of the Bilpin-Mt Irvine-Mt Wilson road with me sometime before tackling it with a Strom [I have heard the Bilpin leg is pretty bad, even 4WD's balk at it, so I won't try it solo].
Thanks for the info.

Do I need gear like mtx boots for this ride?

Can we try the easiest off road you know first? let me do front fork upgrade before anything extreme (new spring and oil, risers too http://www.stromtrooper.com/australia-new-zealand/68148-where-buy-fork-springs.html)

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Nothing serious in what I do on the dirt.

My bike is stock and I wear normal riding gear.

You should be fine with whatever you have for now, as long as it is proper motorcycle gear.

Don't be in a rush to modify your bike until you work out what you really need to change or upgrade.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you still keen?

CHINO,

saturday or sunday. Let's do it.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
saturday or sunday. Let's do it.
Saturday 17th. [I know it's late, but I couldn't sort it sooner].

Maccas McGrath's Hill, corner of Windsor road and Groves Avenue 9:00am for 9:30am depart.

Look for this.

I will PM my mobile.

[anyone else interested post in next 30 mins and I will PM mobile to you, or turn up at Maccas and see if you can find me/us].

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
We took the 4WD in from the Bilpin end of the Mt Irvine road yesterday.

It got real rough so we backtracked out again [travelling alone and no winch on the vehicle so didn't push our luck].

I will take the KLR in there soon [with company, not alone], if a Strom were to do it you would need a real solid bashplate :fineprint: ....[mine doesn't have one- yet :headbang: on the list though]
There are some serious rock obstacles embedded in the road, and that was just on the section we drove, the track was still deteriorating below where we turned around. :yikes:

It does look like a great ride though. :thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts