StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, with my wife's encouragement, I took the plunge.
I've been talking about getting the Vstrom 650 Adventure, since I first saw a picture of one.
I took my Vstorm DL1000 to Larson's Cycle in Cambridge, MN and traded it in. Although I don't take delivery for a week, I think I got the best trade possible. I got what I wanted for my bike (de-farkled) and paid only $9099 plus tax, title and license fees. I also took advantage of the 0% financing.
Life has been good to me today, as with every other day leading up to this one.
I'll post pictures of me and my new ride once I take possession. :hurray:
Life is good!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
sounds great you will enjoy the 650, i test drove the liter bike and thought the 650 was more nimble plus the abs is great! good luck and congrats.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Another MN owner! I got mine at Larsons too. I have only seen one other orange out on the road. Maybe I'll see a black ADV one soon.

I was just at Heinens and they only have one ADV on the floor for $8999.00 FYI.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ah....Larsen's. Brings back many memories. I bought a few bikes from them. Spent my first 25 years growing up in Stillwater and Forest Lake, even used to race against the Larsen boys back in the late 70's early 80's.

Enjoy your new ride and it sounds like you have a great wife!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Congrats!

Hey Bob,

Congrats on the new ADV. I've been riding mine now for a month and just over 1300 miles between rain storms! I went from a GS Adventure to the Wee Adv and I'm loving it. Was originally worried about power, but seems to be more than enough for me. Mileage is great! I've gotten 57-64 on 1st 5 tanks and regular 87 octane gas! Yehaa...

Enjoy and post a pic or two when you get it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought the 650 Adventure myself but decided I'd keep my 2002 1000 since they wanted to steal my old one. I think the 650 has plenty of power for the North Georgia mountains and is soooo much smother than my old V. I did the clutch basket fix on my old bike and put a new chain and a tune and it runs great but still doesn't compare to the silky smooth 650, except in a straight line.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Bob,

Congrats on the new ADV. I've been riding mine now for a month and just over 1300 miles between rain storms! I went from a GS Adventure to the Wee Adv and I'm loving it. Was originally worried about power, but seems to be more than enough for me. Mileage is great! I've gotten 57-64 on 1st 5 tanks and regular 87 octane gas! Yehaa...

Enjoy and post a pic or two when you get it!
Well, I've had the bike for a month now and I have 1,072 miles on it. I've added the radiator guard, bash plate and highway pegs. Here are a few pictures.
So far I've visited Duluth, Little Falls, and Cokato area in MN. I'm hoping to (eventually) doing some much longer rides.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great purchase with the aluminum side cases. I've just got 600 miles on my 2012 Wee in black (of course). You will never regret this 2012. I love mine. Just installed a set of PL3101 side case mounts from Givi. Then I bought a pair of inexpensive 21 L cruiser sidecases from Givi since I'm not a super serious off roader.

Enjoy the Vstrom addiction!

Cheers,
Barney

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another MN owner

Got the black ADV model from Hienen's here. Live in Andover, 20 minutes from Larsons. Just got back from my first significant road trip with this bike (Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Cooke City, Red Lodge). I really feel like I didn't give up anything from my 1150 GS Adventure. Maybe a little less seat of the pants acceleration even though 1/4 mile numbers are similar. Just as comfortable, good wind management, etc. Did have to make a stop at a Suzuki dealer in Idaho Falls because a bolt wiggled out. Harley guys i was riding with made a big deal out of that.

Anyway, no regrets here, and I am sure you will be very happy too. The highway pegs (Yann's) were fantastic on this trip.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heading West next year

Got the black ADV model from Hienen's here. Live in Andover, 20 minutes from Larsons. Just got back from my first significant road trip with this bike (Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Cooke City, Red Lodge). I really feel like I didn't give up anything from my 1150 GS Adventure. Maybe a little less seat of the pants acceleration even though 1/4 mile numbers are similar. Just as comfortable, good wind management, etc. Did have to make a stop at a Suzuki dealer in Idaho Falls because a bolt wiggled out. Harley guys i was riding with made a big deal out of that.

Anyway, no regrets here, and I am sure you will be very happy too. The highway pegs (Yann's) were fantastic on this trip.
Wow, It sounds like a wonderful ride out. Not the route I plan on taking, but at least in the same general direction. :thumbup:
I'm cutting back my working hours next year so that I can boost up my riding hours. Three rides planned next year (out west as previously mentioned), circle tour of Lake superior (counter clockwise this time) and a trip to Miller Motorcycle Museum in Alabama. :mod2_scooter:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts