StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it goes. I purchased a 07 V two days ago. Absolutely love the bike. Today I was removing the warning labels with no problems. Then I moved onto the V-Strom decal on either side of the fairing. I had an old body guy once tell me acetone was the best thing for removing glue without harming paint. Have used this method for years with not one issue. Well the warning labels cleaned up great, however the fairing decals are a different story. The acetone ate through the paint on the spot where I started, thus the nausea and soon to follow vomiting. Any suggestions on what to use for the glue on the fairing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't understand why the tank came out fine but not on the fairing. Oh well.
Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
176 Posts
Doh. I removed the warning stickers without even having to clean the area with anything other than Honda spray cleaner/polish. the trick is warm and slow.

I decided against taking the strom stickers off for the moment. I would think a little bug and tar would clean that up. (or the citrus based product as previously noted)

·
Registered
704 Posts
WD40 works great for me! Saturate the label and let it soak, then slowly peal off. Use the WD and a soft cloth to clean any remaining glue.
BTW- avoid acetone on anything with plastic near it.
It may have worked well with lacquer or enamel, but the newer paints are different, as you unfortunately found out.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Doh. I removed the warning stickers without even having to clean the area with anything other than Honda spray cleaner/polish. the trick is warm and slow.

I decided against taking the strom stickers off for the moment. I would think a little bug and tar would clean that up. (or the citrus based product as previously noted)
That's exactly what I did on my Wee on the first day of ownership. No problems with just pulling them off and the then rubbing with my finger to remove any extra glue. Finish off with Honda Spray Cleaner.

I also left only the V-Strom stickers on, that way instead of people asking what kind of bike it is they ask what's a V-Strom/:mrgreen:

·
Registered
113 Posts
yeah-me too

I am so sorry for you, I could have written your post in 05! I was so sick feeling the bike was like a couple weeks old at the time! Take your time. I used a hair dryer on my fairing and took a long time-like 3 hours, a little goo gone and a little wd-40. I learned the hardway when I did my rear side panel first-I have a small spot the size of a dime-I recovered it with another sticker.DOH! And don't rub too hard. My stickers took three hours to come off and if you do a search, there are times from 30 minutes to a long time, like mine.

I just don't like the factory stickers. I left the Suzuki "S" on tha fairing, that was it. Everything else is gone, and while acetone did help with the tank sticker, I won't use it on anything plastic. Be careful with solvents. Kerosene is ok, especially on the swing arm.

On the plastic side panel resides a "GO!!!!!!!" that covers the small spot and because I am a Rossi fan.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hair Dryer / Heat Gun to soften the glue and sticker. Peel slowly and they'll come right off.

I use a little rubbing alcohol to un-stick the glue, and then my finger to rub the adhesive off. A little wash n wax to shine it up and you are good to go.

Oh, and for the swingarm and luggage rack stickers, a flat-edged razor blade will take them right off with a quickness. ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I used generous amounts of Isopropyl Alcohol. It seemed to work good onec the plactic part of the sticker was gone.;)

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
You really should have used the search feature for this. A lot has been discussed about this subject.

Like MonkeyGrass said, heat and peel slowly.

After having been in the auto body and paint business for over 25 yrs., 3M Adhesive Remover works without damage to paint or clearcoats. It is otherwise known as Naptha. That's right, that good ole Ronson lighter fluid.:D

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I don't understand why the tank came out fine but not on the fairing.
Tank is steel, fairing is plastic.

...The acetone ate through the paint on the spot where I started...
Don't worry about it. Once you drop it a couple of times the missing paint will just be another battle scar. ;)

Not that I'm proud of it but, do you like the scabby rust marks on my Givi engine guards??

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
About a certain sticker

Is the VIN sticker the only place the VIN number can be found on the frame? Might there be insurance complications if you couldn't prove it was the bike that they actually insured?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Goo B Gone which is citrus based is what I used on my Wee and it work fine. I did however once I got the decals off wash the bike off with water to further get the Goo B Gone off.

Man I hate to hear that but acetone is a real volatile chemical there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry a little off subject but ...

Clear lexan/clear plastic will INSTANTLY melt if touched by most solvents. Also had BRAKE CLEANER eat paint off of rims if you do not wipe off instantly.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
This won't make you feel any better, but I took the V-Strom stickers off my new '07 DL650 last month just by pulling up a corner and peeling them off. It was a 100 degree day so that helped. But they came off without a problem. No chemicals, heating, nothing. There didn't even seem to be any residue at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The first day I brought my baby home, I started de-badging her. The only sticker left on the machine is the giant S on the tank. Is this removable? If so....how?

·
Registered
176 Posts
The first day I brought my baby home, I started de-badging her. The only sticker left on the machine is the giant S on the tank. Is this removable? If so....how?
I have read a post from a guy that did the same thing - heat and peel. Double check from someone who has done it, though, since I haven't tried it myself.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I used a heat gun to warm them up (fairly hot, but not too hot to damage the paint). Pealed them off. 1/2 came off in one shot, very clean and easy, the other half took the push of a popcicle stick (I don't like using my finger nails, they get all gummy). I then used a commercial chemical (bug / tar / adhesive remover). Total time, including waxing where the chemical was... about 20 minutes... I really like the heat gun / chemical method... however, I didn't remove "Vstrom" or "DL 1000"... So I don't know about the chemicals on the plastic.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I removed all stickers and cleaned schmootz off with white spirits aka fuelite aka shellite. The big silver S came off OK but there is a definate impression left in the fairing as if it had been clear lacquered over.:( None of the other stickers did this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had luck removing stickers off the fairings by using lighter fluid. I still had to use my fingernail but all the glue did came off, the hardest one was the S on the fairing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts