StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I have been lurking arround just long enough to think buying a Strom is a good idea. I currently have a '99 Triumph Thunderbird and a '98 Motor Guzzi EV11. I had a '98 Triumph Trophy 1200 for a while. I miss the acceleration I got from the Trophy (108HP). I don't miss having to lean forward to ride it.
I want to stretch my 32 inseam legs more than my current bikes allow.
It seems that a common thread of the bikes that attract me are:
1)not common
2)have a good reputation for being reliable
I might be riding two up sometimes. One question I have about the pillion seat is how far are the rear pegs from the pillion seat. I need something that has room for a long legged pillion. She does not like riding like a jockey on a horse. I would appreciate some feedback on that one.
I grew up riding mtot cross bikes but don't have anything to get off road on now. That needs to change.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You will enjoy the V-Strom in either small or liter. However, they are jockey on a horse pegs for the p-pad rider. Otherwise, the V-Strom is a reliable motorcycle. Very.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So is the riding position much different in the Wee vs. the Vee? I have been looking at a VEE, I am 6'1 and about 210 with a 32 inseam and want something more comfortable than my 2002 aprilia. Will probably keep my aprilia, but want something I can ride to national parks on etc.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The riding position is the same except the Wee comes with a slightly lower seat cushion by about an inch.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Go for either one. They're great bikes as you know already from lurking here.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The riding position is the same except the Wee comes with a slightly lower seat cushion by about an inch.
Which is easily fixed by installing a dl1000 seat.Both my 650 and 1k have Vee seats.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I came from a Buell Ulysses to a Wee which was more of a dramatic change then I thought. On the way home from buying the Wee I already felt bored of it and started daydreaming about a Triumph 800. The Buell was my baby (or Iron hearted B*tch if you will) and it was the fact that Harley dropped the line that made me shift to a different bike. However, as I kept riding the Wee (weekend adventures and daily commuting) the more impressed I became with it. Nothing about it is overkill in any arena which is really a good thing. Even though I am a typical male where being different and having the most extreme (insert aggressive, powerful, mildly-insane product here) is the american way I have learned to appreciate the fact that this bike does 99% of everything I want to do on a day-to-day basis. Also, with as many aftermarket products as there are available for the Wee/Vee its pretty easy to make it different and stand out from the rest of the crowd.

Two up riding. In normal driving conditions I have found the Wee to do just fine. I keep right up with my buddy's GS800 when we have the girls on the back and some luggage. Overnight trips haven't been much of a problem except for the saddle does make my butt go numb after a couple hours. My Fiancee says its a little cramped on the back of the Wee but nothing intollerable. I am still messing around with the windshield to make it comforatable for the both of us but thats an issue all Wee/Vee owners have issues with.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Is the passenger seat higher on the 1000 seat as well, or just the rider portion?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The rear is the same height, even with the luggage rack.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
The Vee definitely has more power than the Wee, but the Wee gets noticeably better gas mileage - duh! The way the Wee effortlessly zings through the rpms gear after gear, is a ton of fun. The little motor is an absolute blast to operate, even though it makes less HP than the Big Vee. The fun to use factor definitely offsets the HP deficit.

My wife tells me that the passenger accommodations are very comfortable [she likes the tail trunk with the little back pad too]. I've never been riding two-up on the Wee where I said "I wish I had more HP".

Either bike is a good choice.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
You will enjoy the V-Strom in either small or liter. However, they are jockey on a horse pegs for the p-pad rider. Otherwise, the V-Strom is a reliable motorcycle. Very.
don't know if this is a typo or if he just doesn't understand the original question but the passenger pegs are not all that high compared to the passenger seat. go down to your suzy dealer and climb aboard a 650. the passenger seat is the same between the Wee and Vee. if you decide on the Wee for whatever reason you can swap out the seat with a Vee's seat or order the accessory high seat which is a stock Vee seat.

here's a pic of my son on the back of my Vee with a Wee seat to give you an idea

·
Registered
282 Posts
My wife is 5'8" and has fairly long legs. She is very comfortable on the back after getting rid of the stock seat. To improve her comfort even more I added Goldwing footpegs for her.

Read the Vee vs. Wee thread. I am a solid vote for the Vee. Both are good bikes but I like the extra grunt of the 1000 vs. a 650. For me the 650 doesn't pull hard enough to tickle my sensors enough. It is competent but too much like an appliance for me.

The Wee reminds of Toyota Camry. Does everything pretty well but not inspiring. The Vee is a little more rough around the edges (in stock form) motor wise but I definitely appreciate the extra pull when riding double or at high altitudes. It isn't like the Vee is going to set any records in HP area but it is enough to be fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts