StromTrooper banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Cold weather, short commutes, happened for 10 years every winter with my air cooled HD, summer never. Just changed my oil for first time in my new V Strom, 250 miles, new oil notice a little on the sight gauge, it will burn off as soon as I run it. Run it hard get it hot see if it goes away. Probably condensation.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
that looks like water to me. check your coolant that will tell you for sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had a coolant leak into the oil that was yellow, almost white. You can't tell for sure from the color.
First time I've heard that.. The general rule I've been taught (and seen) was what I mentioned.. but I guess thats why they call it a 'general' rule!

His oil sure looks like it came from my dirtbike after I went fishing with it..

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 08 KLR did this exact thing when i rode it the 3 miles to and from campus when i was in college a few years ago. The oil just never got up to temp to burn off the water/fuel/contaminants. The entire sight glass was milked just like yours and it freaked me out. Initially, i changed oil, but the oil level was unchanged, as was the coolant level. After it milked up on me again after a week or two of the cooler weather, i discovered that actually riding it for 30-an hour would dissipate the milk from the sight glass. Hope thats all youre dealing with!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks everyone. Since I changed the oil a few days ago, and gave her a few hours up in the hills, the foam has disappeared as has the film on the lens. I'll keep a close eye on the coolant level, and try my best to give her more than the normal 1 mile at a time jaunts about town.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks for the update

Again, I don't think you have a problem. Stop & go means frequent cooling off cycles, not traffic. With the way it's being operated, condensation doesn't have time to dry out.
Try to take 'er out for awhile as much as possible. :fineprint:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I get the same exact thing in my 650 strom and also my ktm 450. Mine is simple condensation and it burns out on longer trips. On short trips it stays in there. Confirmed by several people and oil test. Was not coolant.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts