StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like many I too am off to Alaska in a few days. I have 3 weeks off of work and the bike is finally done.

Still have to finalize what I am actually taking and how I am packing it, but that is how she will look.

Farkles (not necessarily for the trip):
forkbrace (Richland Rick)
mirror extenders (Richland Rick)
madstad
crashbars (sw motech)
center stand (sw motech)
kaoko throttle lock
oem hand guards
givi racks with pelican 1550s (caribou quick release adapters)
34L top case (caribou)
city tank bag (bags connection)
2 gallon Rotopax
Heidenau K60s front and back
30L dry bag
PC8 fuse block (eastern beaver)
H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit with One Headlight Cut Adapter (eastern beaver)
power to the box with custom wiring (eastern beaver)
Narcosis junky skid plate
Hyperlites 3 way tail/brake/turn signals

Probably missing some stuff, but that is the major stuff. Have a small power converter in the top box to keep the netbook charge when on the road.

I will attempt to do a RR, but no promises.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am planning a similar 3 week, one way trip and shipping the bike back next summer. Nice set up. Are you using a GPS? What windshield do you have and do you like it?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm in Fairbanks now. UAF dorms. $39/nt single. Google UAF conference services, call em up, say you're on a moto and they'll hook you up with the good rate.

Having the time of my life. You'll love it. I burned up a set of anakees in 3k miles, swapped to k60s in Fairbanks. Adventure cycle works in Fairbanks
Can do anything you need done to a bike. Open 24x7 in the summer.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
If you haven't done so already. pack a tire repair kit with a mini compressor....

Have a blast and safe trip....:thumbup:

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you haven't done so already. pack a tire repair kit with a mini compressor....
Good call. I need to pick up one of those mini 12v compressors myself.

I am looking to do this ride in another year or so, hopefully 2 up.

I would love to read your RR if you can manage it.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
You and I think alike. If I was outfitting for that trip I would have put the exact same farkles on. May I also suggest folding shifter & brake pedal, packing the OEM's for spares. Enjoy your trip, one day at a time, RR if possible. Actually I'm dying to find out how the K60's work & last.:yesnod:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Something like 5000 miles/8000 km for you. If those tires wear out, what are your replacement plans?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you using a GPS? What windshield do you have and do you like it?
No GPS, but another rider I am going with has one.

Stock windshield and so far I have no complaints about it after adding the Madstad.

I have the stop 'n go compressor and plug kit so all good there.

UAF dorms. $39/nt single. Google UAF conference services, call em up, say you're on a moto and they'll hook you up with the good rate.
thanks rconti, that is good to know.

If those tires wear out, what are your replacement plans?
From what I am reading guys are getting great mileage of the K60s so wasn't really thinking about it. Might call Adventure Cycle in Fairbanks and see if they have a set just in case.

Really looking forward to this as it is my first major trip on the bike (hopefully not the last)

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Like many I too am off to Alaska in a few days. I have 3 weeks off of work and the bike is finally done.

Still have to finalize what I am actually taking and how I am packing it, but that is how she will look.

Farkles (not necessarily for the trip):
forkbrace (Richland Rick)
mirror extenders (Richland Rick)
madstad
crashbars (sw motech)
center stand (sw motech)
kaoko throttle lock
oem hand guards
givi racks with pelican 1550s (caribou quick release adapters)
34L top case (caribou)
city tank bag (bags connection)
2 gallon Rotopax
Heidenau K60s front and back
30L dry bag
PC8 fuse block (eastern beaver)
H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit with One Headlight Cut Adapter (eastern beaver)
power to the box with custom wiring (eastern beaver)
Narcosis junky skid plate
Hyperlites 3 way tail/brake/turn signals

Probably missing some stuff, but that is the major stuff. Have a small power converter in the top box to keep the netbook charge when on the road.

I will attempt to do a RR, but no promises.
For a "normal" Alaska trip you don't need the gas can. GPS is pretty pointless too, there's so few roads it's next to impossible to get lost. If you're going way off the beaten track though...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm in Fairbanks now. UAF dorms. $39/nt single. Google UAF conference services, call em up, say you're on a moto and they'll hook you up with the good rate.

Having the time of my life. You'll love it. I burned up a set of anakees in 3k miles, swapped to k60s in Fairbanks. Adventure cycle works in Fairbanks
Can do anything you need done to a bike. Open 24x7 in the summer.

Enjoy!
Sweet rconti!! Did you go solo?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Have a great trip, it is an adventure. I carried gas when I went up the Dempster but didn't need it. The Wee gas tank was good for the 231 miles to Eagle plains. Do the "Top of the World" road from Dawson to Chicken Alaska if you have time.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You certainly would appreciate some highway bars so you can occasionally change your leg position .
I'm actually starting to think about a set of those, even though they run counter to my general thinking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts