StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rolled into a very dark parking lot, thought I had the sidestand down but couldn't really see, proceeded to jump off the bike instead of easing it over and of course dropped it there on the left side. So much for the nice silver paint (swmotech engine guards....yeah, wish I had the Givis that protect the tank).

So, a few tablespoons of oil spilled out from somewhere onto the pavement while the bike was down. I looked with my headlamp, didn't see any oil on the engine, no apparent casing cracks. Did the oil come out of a vent hole or....?

Bill in Roswell, GA

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Chances are the oil came from the air box through the crankcase ventilation tube. It would be a good idea to look in the air box in case oil got into the filter.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
What the expert said ^^^^

And there will be oil on the filter, but, unless there's a lot, not a problem.

I've seen this happen several times to dropped DL's. Oil level will be down a little, don't obsess about that, if it's near the mark, is fine.

Pete

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The air filter is fairly new, replaced a few months before I bought it. But oil on the filter will come to sit in the bottom of the air box, creatling a nice sludge over time. Ah well, I needed a project for this evening any way.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Don't feel too bad... I almost did the same thing the other day while stopping at a gas station. Thought I fully extended the sidestand, but it wasn't fully locked. Came real close to letting the bike fall over against the gas pump. That would have felt really stupid.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Why are you hanging around dark parking lots? No good can come of that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was expecting (and part hopeful) to hear..........I pulled into a dark parking lot with my Glock G30 at the ready and the lurking predators melted back into the shadows.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually the dark parking lot happens to be where my condo is in the complex due to trees blocking the lights.

Isn't there a drain plug at the bottom of the air filter box? Wonder if I should remove that for a moment to see if any oil drips out.

Also, to facilitate gas tank removal, why not put a stop valve at the top of the gas hose so the tank doesn't have to be drained?

Needless to say I filled the tank the day before I dropped the bike! Argh.

Yah, when I bought the bike a few weeks ago I was thinking my clumsiness would need the tank guard bars and not just the engine guard bars. Oh well. I want to get rid of that '09 tank decal anyway. Hate to replace the turn signal with another bulb unit, but don't have time to deal with the LED setup (the one that bends out of the way if hit) since I want to ride this weekend! Glue and tape will have to do for a few days.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info Greywolf. I watched a couple of the videos on tank removal, but missed the point that the only gas to deal with is in the hose. That's easy enough to deal with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts