StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fortunate to live close to a nice section of the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP to hipsters like me) and on some mornings like today, I'll ride up to see the sunrise. Today was kinda so-so, not worth the flash memory.

Anyways after I got to the office, the nice people on a local radio station mentioned that if the Government shuts down, so will the BRP. Locally, this could put a major dent in our tourist economy. I might take another ride now, while I still can.

I don't really want this to become a political thread but hey, this is the internets, so it'll be what it'll be.

Just be forewarned, if it's closed, it will be gated and closed to pedestrians and bicyclists as well. There may be nobody there to enforce the closure, but who wants to take the chance on being hassled by disgruntled Park Rangers.

Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
221 Posts
Reminds me of a time years ago when I lived in CT. The governor closed the state parks because of a budget impasse. When my friends and I went to our local state park to go mountain biking, there was a ranger stationed there just to tell us the park was closed. Never saw a ranger there before (or any other state employee for that matter).

Should anyone be surprised that people are so cynical about how the government operates?

If they close the BRP shouldn't they close all federally funded roads? Politics suck.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't need the govt to protect me.
Why is there always the illusion of security when uncle sam is involved? :confused:
There's plenty of beautiful riding in just about any direction down your way even without the BRP.

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
It better be opened up at the end of May.....thats all Im sayin!!!!:furious:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm jealous. I love that road, it's gorgeous.
Went up there this evening with my wife to see the sunset.

She lost a hair tie, guess I've gotta go back up again in the morning and try to fin it.

It was her favorite.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Im glad to see it will be remaining open. :beatnik:

Now I just need to find some time to ride it! :furious:

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Went up there this evening with my wife to see the sunset.

She lost a hair tie, guess I've gotta go back up again in the morning and try to fin it.

It was her favorite.
Yeah, yeah. That makes me feel so much better :headbang: At least take a couple of pictures while you're there. I can tape them to my windscreen and pretend ;)

We do have the Natchez Trace Parkway here. No comparison to the BRP as far as views goes, but it beats nothing.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, yeah. That makes me feel so much better :headbang:
If it makes you feel any better, I went up again this morning and couldn't find the hair tie.

I did see another sunset, it was sort of ho-hum, not like this:

Something else about the more elevated parts of the BRP in the early morning: It's warmer than in the valleys. I dropped a layer while I was up there only to wish I had it back on 15 minutes later when I was close to home.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
That's a beautiful shot, Norm. The expanse of the scenery along that road is just awe inspiring. I rode from the Waterrock Knob Visitor's Center south of Asheville just over the Virginia border to the Rocky Knob Visitors Center. If I had stopped every time the scenery begged me to do so I'd still be out there somewhere.

The weather was strange when I was there to. It was in early July, 2007 and on the west side of the mountains the temperatures were in the 90's. As soon as I crossed over the mountains into North Carolina it dropped into the 70's. The two days I spent on portions of the BRP were actually chilly, starting out in the 60's early in the morning, but it sure felt good in July.

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
Your a Dick Norm...................and me and Jester "Dave" are gonna be down there at the end of May "leaving the 26th" maybe/hopefully we can all hook-up?

INCREDIBLE PIC BY THE WAY............VERY VERY NICE!!!!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Your a Dick Norm...................and me and Jester "Dave" are gonna be down there at the end of May "leaving the 26th" maybe/hopefully we can all hook-up?

What route you taking?

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks for the compliment and the appreciation of the photo I took in 2009.

I started a new thread for BRP pictures.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/photography-videos/63132-pictures-blue-rige-parkway.html#post672545

I figured with the Iron Horse event coming up in a month and you coming down a little later, it would be a nice place to post some shots from the Parkway.

I'd love to show you around the 'hood. Send me a reminder when we get closer to your impending visit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts