StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been riding motorcycles for a few months and the Wee is my 1st bike, with a total of 1600 miles on it so far + a couple of hundred more when I rented bikes before I bought my Wee. I had a difficult time learning in the beginning, dropped my wee 3x my 1st 3 weeks of ownership (classic newbie mistakes), but I stuck to neighborhood roads & practiced until I felt better riding the "big" roads and the advice I got on this forum was so helpful.

We went to Tahoe & rented a couple of HDs. I rented a HD Softail Heritage Classic - 765 lbs. I am so glad I learned how to ride on the Wee! With its top heaviness it taught me very quickly what not to do -- like turn my front wheel when I stopped ;-) -- when I rented the Heritage it went really well! It's a heavy bike, but fortunately much lower center of gravity, and although my husband was sure I was going to drop it, I came no where near dropping it and was never concerned that I would ... I teethed on the Wee afterall :D I was extra careful in parking lots, and the rest of the time I had a blast on the mountain roads, but I have to admit that I avoided the tight switchbacks on the west side of the lake being a new rider on heavy bike I had never ridden before.

The Wee can be difficult to learn to ride for balance-challenged people like myself, but by sticking with it the rewards are so worth it. When I got home my Wee felt sooooo light to ride!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
The sad truth is that most post-youth people getting into riding are doing so on cruisers, which seems to me, a great way to learn how to hate riding.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am so glad I learned to ride on dirt bikes when I was a youngin!

Hats off to these people who learn to ride later on in life! They are brave souls.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Isn't it amazing...

Isn't it amazing how unwieldy the Wee seems as you ride it day-to-day? And when you get a chance to ride something that truly qualifies as a "big" bike, you find yourself longing for that wee again. (Yes... I frequently have feelings for my Wee which can be accurately described as "longing.") I recently visited a BMW dealership for the first time. I'd been wanting to take a closer look at the 800GS. Of course they were glad to let me throw a leg over it, and even offered a test ride, but the moment I lifted the weight of that bike off the side-stand, I felt that longing feeling again. Perhaps I'll go back and take that test ride sometime, but only when I'm ready to get the Wee a stablemate.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I ride a Wee. And I also ride a Triumph Rocket III. Talk about a difference.... :huh:

Love them both.

Kindest regards,

-Will

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
One of my reasons for getting a Wee was to become a better rider. Wanted to feel that I could hop on just about any bike and ride it confidently.

LA Strom, you done good. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I took my riding classes at the local HD dealer, because i felt it was more informative than the DMV's class. That taught us on buells.

Anyway after that i rode with a friend who has a 02 BMW, a 06 Ninja, and a 98 HD Sportster. I rode the BMW the first few time and did pretty good. I tried the Sportster one day, started with the rear tire against the curb parked. Got a feel for the clutch , and proceeded to go.

Straight across the street and almost up the other curb. Had know idea you had to put su much effort into turning them. Probably just the slow speed. but come on.

So after a month of deciding i got the Strom. Excellent all around bike.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I tried the Sportster one day, started with the rear tire against the curb parked. Got a feel for the clutch , and proceeded to go.

Straight across the street and almost up the other curb. Had know idea you had to put su much effort into turning them. Probably just the slow speed. but come on..
You're too damn skinny!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of my reasons for getting a Wee was to become a better rider. Wanted to feel that I could hop on just about any bike and ride it confidently.

LA Strom, you done good. ;)
Thanks, Rodr :D I rode my Wee to work this morning and it felt lighter than ever!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am so glad I learned to ride on dirt bikes when I was a youngin!

Hats off to these people who learn to ride later on in life! They are brave souls.
+1000000

I think dirt bikes teach so much that you can take on the road with you. I suggest that to any newbie that wants to get into street riding to come over and ride my dirt bikes first!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Riding dirt also teaches some bad habits for road riding - like relying on the back brake primarily/only. Or stabilizing with a leg out. I actually saw some jackass hangin' a leg out on a sporty going around a corner. :confused:

To the OP: I hop on a harley every now and again. They handle surprisingly well in the twisty bits as long as you remember they only have a lean angle of about 25 degrees. The weight isn't an issue (to me anyhow). But prolly smart on your part NOT to push it since the bike/style was new to you.

Next time you rent a harley, try a few tight twisties and get comfy. You'll be surprised by how fast the floorboards touch down compared to the Wee/Vee. And when you're dragging floorboards on every turn, you'll prolly impress 90% of the other harley riders. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts