StromTrooper banner

I recently purchased a 2006 DL 1000

2467 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  agrippa1
Hi,
I recently purchased a 2006 DL 1000 and must say I'm sure enjoying it. Sold my Gold Wing and decided the V-strom was the way to go after looking at some other bikes (wanted to get more into adventure touring). People were telling me I should be looking at the wee but there's no substitute for pony power. I'm getting ready to do a full service on it and was wondering what's the best oil to be using ( synthetic or petroleum) The bike has 37,000 kms and runs likes a top. The previous owner wasn't sure and said the dealer was using a 10 ~40 Suzuki brand. I'm sure this question has been beat to death but any information would be appreciated. Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
I just bought a 3k Vee, with 20K miles on it. After much thought and deliberation, I have decided that the most important service change I needed to make was the choice of oil filters. So I bought the adapter for $15, and now use Purolator PureONE PL14610 filters. The oil & filter change takes a little more oil, but I have a filter which on papers seems to clean the oil to 99.9% at 40 microns, and is cheap.

When it comes to oil, you will find many opinions from synthetic, to dino oil, from one manufacturer to another. Find one that fits you pocket, has the correct weight, and is not energy conserving, and change when dirty.

I'm using:

Filter: PL14610
Oil: Rotella T 15W-40

Bryn

· Registered
299 Posts
First off, congrats on the purchase, excellent choice :thumbup:

Unfortunately asking anything about oil choices ends up badly. I'd suggest browsing a few of the existing oil threads first.

I am fully convinced of the merits of full synthetic oil so that's the direction I headed. I decided I wanted a brand that I can locate in a store someplace along the road if need be so that excluded a few that are still good oils. I settled on Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. The first change was to 10w-40 and it seemed to work fine. I just changed it last night to Mobil 1 20w-50 to see how that works, and also, I'm standardizing my oils between bikes so I only have to stock one at home.

There are many high quality oils out there. I suggest shopping around your area to see what's easily available and preferably carries the Jaso MA rating for motorcycles. I know lots of people use non motorcycle spec'd oils but I feel better sticking to one that carries the rating.

I use the Suzuki filter.

Don't expect to get a single "this works best" answer for oil, it's impossible. It's like asking what kind of women should I marry, everybody has a different answer.

· Registered
441 Posts
I am in the minority and use a standard fare diesel oil. I used Delo on my last change and will not be surprised if I run Rotella T in it either sometime soon.

However...looking into a bigger filter would be a great idea. Time to search up the forums!

Congrats on the bike purchase. Welcome to a great bike that shakes, rattles and rolls.

· Registered
299 Posts
The first change was to 10w-40 and it seemed to work fine. I just changed it last night to Mobil 1 20w-50 to see how that works,....
After putting in some miles last weekend with the 20w-50, I think I prefer it over the 10w-40. The tranny seems to work a tad smoother with the thicker oil. With the lighter oil it was just a touch notchy. They were both Mobil 1 MC oils.

· Registered
155 Posts
Someone mentioned the Pure One filter. Their site says that they do not recommend that filter for motorcycles--something about the oil pump not being strong enough to push the oil through the filter.

Anybody know about this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.